Helical material removal

Good evening everyone!

A little headache for this big weekend...

There you go! After spending a few fruitless hours, I come back to my favorite forum :-)

I have a helical material removal to do on a cylindrical part.

Only:

- The pitch is variable

- It is a circular section that is also variable

- And to top it off, the inside of the throat must be the same depth all the way.

For the first point, no pb, on the other hand, for the second, I dry completely. I tried the smoothed bosses, only, it throws me away!

I think it's because I only have one guide curve which moreover went through the center of my circles (sections).

So basically, you have to do a helical sweep, with variable pitch, conical and variable cross-section!

This is the m... from

Have any of you ever had this kind of mission?

I put the piece in pj. This is the 15 scan just in case

Thank you in advance

Yann

097_0184-a.sldprt
1 Like

Good evening

Can you put screen prints for us? We can't all open the file. Or a 3D pdf.

1 Like

Hello

now I'm on a weekend:) No Solidworks on hand. But my first impression I would make the part using a Boolean operation because I think it will be easier to make your coil with its barbaric shape and then make a subtraction on a cylinder, what do you think?

may the force be with you.

Thank you manu67 and OBI WAN for your answers...

Attached is a 3d pdf in + views.

Yes, OBI WAN, I started from the same principle as you. I did my blood sausage, then a Boolean operation.

097_0184-a.pdf

Hi little feet have a good Sunday

Something like that suits you

The problem is how much canvas you have to leave to be acceptable

all the odds are obviously wacky ;-)

see attached file SW 2012

@+

les_petits_pieds_balayage.sldprt
4 Likes

Nice try gt22 :-)

In the idea it is almost that except that the diameter of the scan section must increase from the moment the pitch of the helicoid begins to vary. This is also when the helical becomes conical. Indeed, the back of the throat is constant. I'm attaching a step of the file as it is today. In fact, the only thing missing is the change of diameter on the variable pitch part. This should normally connect perfectly with the "end" of the gorge where we currently see a kind of shoulder.

Thank you for your help and have a good weekend to you too

Yann

097_0184-a.step
1 Like

If the section of the material  removal moves at the same time as the pitch

It must be done via a smooth base material removal

And put the sections at each step that changes

@+

1 Like

gt22,

Yes, I agree with you, only, we can't use a helical curve directly as a guide curve. And it is virtually impossible to create a second guide curve. Then to finish, it will be tense to calculate the Ø of each section, the step not being constant...

Finally

By making an innumerable number of sections and guide curves, I was able to make a scan.

But hey, it's hard to determine the positions and dimensions of the sections...

Thank you for your help...

2 Likes

Hello

I'm curious by nature! Could you put the finished file in the post?

Thanks in advance 

Ok, here's the finished file as an attachment.

I put it in sw2015 and STEP.

097_0184-a.zip
1 Like

Bug it was sport.... Nice as a piece