Material Removal by Intersection with Another Part - SolidWorks

Hi all

I'm currently on the Piping module,

I created domed bottoms as a piece of piping (with routing and connection point).

We make stitching in these domed bottoms, never the same number, nor the same characteristics, etc... So I can't integrate my stitching into my bottom.

So I want to be able to do my tube cutting (wolf's mouth) as with the intersection of a tube where there it's automatic:

Is there a function of this type? Like in AutoCAD with "Subtraction"?

Thank you! (and don't hesitate to ramble to give me your advice;) )

Hello

Yes, it's the subtract function:

http://help.solidworks.com/2013/French/SolidWorks/sldworks/t_combining_bodies_subtract.htm

See also this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMfUNK9fsek

2 Likes

Thank you .PL,

However, since my parts are in an assembly, I can only use the "Join" function to connect them together.

SolidWorks does not allow me in this case to use the subtract function as I cannot combine 2 separate parts.... :/

[Edit]:

Let's see if the borrowing tool can be a solution:

http://help.solidworks.com/2012/french/solidworks/sldworks/hidd_dve_insert_cavity.htm

2 Likes

It is indeed possible to obtain the passage of the tube through the domed bottom:

However, it is impossible to do the opposite to obtain the missing cut of the tube, it implies a cyclic dependence ... :/

And edit the bottom in the assembly and do a normal removal of material to the tube?

1 Like

@Frédéric, I had thought about it but the surface is of the bottom is domed, so I need this surface hence PL's post on the subtract function only possible on a part with several bodies

by editing your piece (your curved background)

and you create your exit or entry axis along the desired length on this axis you create a perpendicular plane to create your connection to the desired section

Extrusion to the surface 

Resumption of the internal sketch of the stitching Removal of material

see attachment under SW 2012

Save your new part by recreating routing points

piquage_x_diametre_et_angle_sur_fond_bombe.sldprt
1 Like

So we can save the assembly in parts, subtract the body from the tank and then remove the bodies that are not useful to reinsert this tube into the original assembly. A bit tedious, but it should work...

1 Like

Thank you @gt22 for the piece but as indicated in my post "We make stitching in these domed bottoms, never the same number, nor the same characteristics, etc... So I can't integrate my stitching into my bottom."

@PL, yes indeed, very tedious.... What if I convert the outer geometry of my background to the surface? Could I also use the "Material removal with surface" tool?

Once done you register your new fund with in addition to your deal / client ref

and you can recreate the routing points for the tap(s)

@+

Yes absolutely, but I wouldn't be able to manage my nomenclature as I'll have 2 bodies in a room, I'll have the name of the part but not the characteristics of the bodies. 

I'm looking for a much simpler system like the "Fingerprint" function that PL mentioned to me

Edit the background, create a 3d sketch and then convert the axis of the tube.

Then make a normal plane to this axis and do a material removal by converting the inner wall of the tube.

Hi Aurélien,

I thought of another solution, I made a video because a bit hard to explain, I hope it can help you

Good luck 

Mick

test.wmv
3 Likes

Ah Mike, it's getting 200%....

I just have a conflict between the removal of material and the automatic reconstruction of the piping function I think ....

I can do the step of cutting the tube with the surface.

I also manage to cut the bottom with the top surface of the tube.

But, as soon as I rebuild, I get a conflict... the tube is rebuilt, as if the surface of the bottom was being updated (the "drilling" function that you remove in your video)

Thank you all for your ideas!

Mike, you're the big winner, I had just tried to do the opposite of your operations to win a little click.... Like what! Understanding how the software works is important :)!

Thanks also to PL, gt22 and Frédéric!

1 Like