File Saving

Hello

I have a question about saving a file to send to a client. In fact, we built him a machine and he would like to implement it in 3D in the environment of his factory that he has designed in 3D.

I'd like to send him just the outer wrap so that it's not the details of the inside of the machine.

In what format should I save my file so that it can be reused with 3D CAD software?

Thank you

Hello

We will have to specify a little more.

What software do you use? What software does your client have?

Kind regards

Solidworks 2013

On the other hand, I don't know what software my client uses.

It depends partly on the type of machine.

To send a 3D, there is the solution to save the assembly as a part (.sldprt) and to choose the "outer faces" option. This gives a sldprt only with surfaces. The big advantage is that it is very difficult to exploit for a potential competitor, while giving the exterior space.

Another solution is Tools/Defeature. It can give good results but you have to spend some time refining the parameters. To put it simply, it simplifies the volume and can remove small components.

A last solution a little longer, take the assembly, hide everything you don't want to show and save again as part but selecting the "all components" option.

To try to get an idea...

2 Likes

Supplement following the new answer from @ fdujardin: and save the obtained file in STEP or other...

1 Like

Hello

The answer has already been given, but here is a SWW2012 presentation on file exchange

Happy reading

sww2012_sharing_assemblies.pptx