Thickening a case imported in STL

Hello

I imported a kind of STL case, I would like to thicken it. I have no idea how to do it.

Thank you for your ideas.

Michael

Hello

An STL file has only graphical elements. No volume or surface bodies.

The only way is to rebuild on top of it....

2 Likes

Hello

@icome right, but it is possible to use featureworks to recognize a function, either in volume or in surface. In surface maybe if it's to thicken (we don't know anything about the part, no image !!).

One of the big problems of the STL is that the spokes are a succession of small straight lines (like a panel) so faceting is impossible to solve. In addition, I often read in the comments of our colleagues, it is often necessary to sew surfaces together because not everything is solved during the conversion.

So the solution is that of @icome  : but maybe to go faster by relying on an SLDPRT resulting from the conversion and recognition of functions. Solution that I would personally retain if the form is complex.

Can you post the STL converts, so  our experienced colleagues, especially in surface areas, will be better able to help you.

Kind regards

3 Likes

Hello michel.meunier100

Can you mail the STL? It will be easier to answer. I have some notions about importing stls in order to make them editable.

Hello michel.meunier100,

look at your options in Solidworks and edit in import: you have the choice for STL/OBJ/OFF/PLY/PLY2 files to import as a volume or surface area or graphic size (the latter is checked by default.

Either you import in surface and thicken, or you import in volume and you shell.

options_stl_solidworks.png
2 Likes