[EPDM 2017] Automatically get the latest version of files?

Hello

I look in vain for the option I knew about on EPDM 2014 and 2016 that I can't find on EPDM 2017: "Automatically get the latest version of files".

I thought the option was enabled but the admin folder doesn't work this way, which is annoying every time you change the template or set up because the others don't have the files up to date.

I read that you can also clear the cache but I'm afraid of deleting local files that would be lying around with some of my colleagues...

On the attached image, on the left the print-screen found on another subject from 2015 and on the right the "same" window of my EPDM 2017 where the option disappeared.

Thanks in advance ;-)

Antho

obtenir_la_derniere_version.jpg

Hello

It switched to the reference dialog . For the cache clear, it's like the manual action, it doesn't empty files related to documents in the extraction state.

On the other hand, if a user works only with extracted files that call each other, he will effectively lose his work.

2 Likes

Thank you, indeed it has changed, I have found it.

2 questions however:

- There, I selected it from the Admin user, should it be done for each user? Is there a way to do it for everyone?

- What is the purpose of the "Enable Get Version command in SOLIDWORKS Add-in" sub-option?

reglages_-_admin.jpg

Re

Click on help, it explains what the option is for. To apply to everyone if you have groups, it's a group setting, otherwise accessible directly from the user tree by right-clicking on "users" and then settings.

1 Like

Indeed I'm going to go through the groups, thank you!

I found the answer to my 2nd question via the help:

Always use the latest version of files.
Copies the most recent version of a file to the user's local cache when the user views or opens the file.

If the file that the user opens contains references, the software retrieves the most recent version of all files referenced in the user's local cache, regardless of the version of the attached references or earlier versions that may be saved in the local cache.

When you select this option, the user only sees the Get Latest Version command in the context menu for files and folders in Windows Explorer.

To allow the user to check out earlier versions of SOLIDWORKS Add-in files, select this option and then select Enable Get Version command in the SOLIDWORKS Add-in.

On the other hand, it is noted: Copies the most recent version of a file to the user's local cache when the user views or opens the file.

But when the user uses a file without opening it, for example configuration files or templates, does it still work?

I remember that in my old company, we had problems with this kind of files and that we always had to get the latest version manually.

We don't have this setting and by default the vault uses the latest version of the file when it comes to a template (at least on the 2016 version). Probably a problem with the older versions that has since been fixed.

1 Like

It works, thank you for all these responsive answers!!

My problem was finally not solved with this option, namely that the latest version of the configuration files (at least for SmartProperties) is not taken automatically, you always have to "get the latest version" manually.

A tip?

Maybe that's why I was advised on another question not to put this kind of file on EPDM but rather on a classic server. The problem is that if I do that, it makes me reconfigure everything and I like to have the old versions too, which EPDM allows...

Indeed, I haven't tested it for a long time, it may be that in case of an unemptied cache the chest will recover the current version.

If your users log out of the vault every day, the easiest way is to systematically empty the folders containing templates and then get the latest version of these same files when you log in.

Re

So this behavior of getting the latest version of a template only works for templates used by the vault (arbo templates in the administration). For everything that is Solidworks, it is indeed necessary to put out of the vault and at the limit use the vault as a basis for recording histories.

Yes, we disconnect regularly.

So I would have to set up to empty the cache of the Admin folder.

What is the difference between the "Refresh" and "Clear" options on login?

Hello

From the Aid:

Cache Options

Disable cache on logoutAutomatically disables the local cache when group members sign out.
Refresh cache during connectionRuns an automated version of the Get Latest Version command for files in the selected folder when group members log in.

Thanks, so "Refresh cache" and "Clear cache" on this Admin folder and it should work.