Static Balancing (Solidworks)

Hello everyone, 

according to you, 

Can I do a balancing study (solidworks) on my cart, 

i.e.: as indicated by the capture if jointed, I apply a load of 60kg  on the left part of the structure, I want to know the load I have to apply in the counterpart (right) to guarantee the stability of my trolley with a safety factor of 1.5, 

can I do this test using SOLIDWORKS, 

N.B: the left wheel is the axis of rotation in case of imbalance, 

Thank you 

capture.png

Hello @BMW

No need for simulation, a simple manual calculation is enough, like yours, which is almost totally accurate.

We agree L1*P1 = L2 * P2

Where, L is the length with respect to the axis and P is the weight.

60 * 555 = 33300           33300 / 710 = 47 kg   47*1.5 = 70.5 kg

Your CG will be located at 632.5 mm

Then if you also want to calculate with the frame and the sheets. SW gives you the CG as standard with the "Evaluate" function (not the simulation module)
Your frame and weight will move your CG slightly and  in a favorable way (at least less than 3 mm) because your assembly without load and against weight has no risk of tipping.

Small remark when you say Coeff 1.5! Is it lengthwise because you are tightening less than 1.5 widthwise?
If you are in strict static , with a fairly good horizontality and without any displacement with the load of 60 kg, then your calculation is correct otherwise it should be reviewed. In addition, as your four castors are steerable, this distorts the CG a little for the calculation of the tipping and your safety factor. The odds of 555 are more like 595 (at the top of the net) because of the off-center of the steerable roulette.

Kind regards

3 Likes