Geometry Smoothing Error

Hi all

I come to ask for help following a "geometry error" on Solidworks 2013

The objective is to create a smoothing to have two bodies joining together in a single surface. I've already tried to make it in a single sketch for the upper part, to divide it in half for the lower part but nothing helps. Similarly using Symmetry.

I guess the problem is due to the crossing of the two smooths to be made on the same arivée sketch. But I have no choice but to make these shapes. An image that probably speaks more than all this text, here it is:

Thanks in advance to those who will help me on this problem, even if I understand that it must be simple for some.

Kind regards

Hello

By creating a second sketch identical to the first one at the bottom, it doesn't work?

Otherwise, by making a body symmetry:

http://www.mycadservices.eu/sites/default/files/questions/answer/23/03/2014/symetrie.png

1 Like

Hello

Thank you for your answer,

No, it doesn't work by creating a second sketch identical to the first one (Intersecting Geometry), nor by using the Symmetry functions whether in Volume or Surface.

I would prefer to stay in Volume to use the extrusion functions for the rest of the modeling.

you have to cut the part that will intersect

and make a symmetry via the face that has just been cut

attached file SW 2012

@+ ;-)

test_symetriser_un_lissage_avec_la_meme_origine.sldprt
1 Like

Can you give you more details about your answer?

I am not sure I understand correctly; I should cut my smoothing on the top plane (if the crossing is done at this point but let's assume) and resume a new smoothing until the end sketch?

The problem is that I need the junction between the two rectangles of the upper part (in fact what I would like is for the common line of the two sketches linked to the rectangles to be joined and then turn into an arc for the end condition, preferably in volume to continue extruding my part afterwards).

2 Likes

look at the attached image as well as the attached file on my first reply

If you have a problem tell me

Thank you 

I understand that you want to do it in volume to use the extrussion functions later... But why not do it in surface first and then use the "fill" function to go back to volume?

You could thus cross surfaces, erase those you don't like and have a beautiful room:)

2 Likes

#gt22 : I have just tested your method, but without success; I cut in half via the front plane to remove the material on the left part, then I wanted to do a smoothing (photo attached). I always get a geometry that intersects

Did I proceed incorrectly according to your answer?

#coin37coin, I'm going to test your method and I'll get back to you to see if it's good

Thank you all for writing about my problem!

1 Like

do not redo a smoothing but a symmetry of the existing one

via the cutting plane

if of course it's symmetries

if the smoothing is completely different you have to proceed differently

do it via 2 distinct pieces and create an assembly

and record in share

2 Likes

So, I just did both answers, and both work, thank you so much for that.

However, I find that the results are not "clean" for both. That is to say that for the coin37coin method, my smoothing does not follow the curve correctly. While for gt22, I have a "crooked" shape

I think you have to put control points on the curve or something like that, so that it's round.

I am sending you the two coins, the first corresponds to the coin37coin method (V1), the second to gt22 (V2). It will be more explicit like this, I hope that your respective versions of Solidworks will allow you to open them.

V1: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByGRQQipZaO5RGVxYnZQSlktbHM

V2: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByGRQQipZaO5OTlQeTZKaEJRN00

@Fulgrim: It's dead for me, your version is too recent. But indeed, it's the problem of straightening I think, it has a little tendency to live your life and do as you please. You have to constrain her as much as possible.

What do you call a "crooked shape" on the function of @GT22?

By the way, for your information, if you attach the files by "browse" (just below the box for writing writing), it allows you to attach a file and therefore to each one to open it independently. And therefore to have it at the desired size and not like the thumbnail of the text ;-)

I can't open I stayed in SW 2012

Why do you say crooked

You can post images for a better understanding

I have converted the files to . STEP, I hope you can open them.

#coin37coin, yes I saw, but I can only attach one file, hence my upload on Google Drive

V1: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByGRQQipZaO5ZEM1Z1VfR1dBMzQ

V2: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByGRQQipZaO5OTlQeTZKaEJRN00

Image V1:

Image V2:

Hello

Be careful with your sketches, which have a direct influence on the quality of the resulting surfaces.

For example, on your sketch 2, you make 2x2arcs of a circle which therefore creates a junction point and therefore an edge on the surfaces.

Redo 2x1 single arc on this sketch 2 and you'll already have a better result.

Then separate your guide curve in two to drive the left side and then the right side, you will thus control your tangency between the two surfaces much better in relation to symmetries.

@+

1 Like

Re

Another solution with the border function you go around the full circle!

@+

EDIT: Border won't work stayed well in smoothing and try closed smoothing!

Hello Coyote, thank you for your answer.

The two arcs of circles are unfortunately imposed for my work, I cannot modify the dimensions because of the non-conformity of the product afterwards.

Your reasoning is right on the guide curves, but I already have 2 on respective planes to follow the offset from the upper sketches to the lower sketch .

However, they are not shown in the photos attached here.

Re

I'm not talking about changing the dimensions of the arches....

I say that on the sketch 2 there is no need to make 4 arcs, 2 are enough and they improve the results...

@+

1 Like

At the time, I didn't quite understand your comment.

Indeed the two arcs are useless, I had created it to divide my sketch into two parts (an equivalent of the gt22 method with the removal of material directly in the sketch).

1 Like

Generally speaking, if you want beautiful surfaces, you need beautiful sketches beforehand....

2 Likes

Does it speak to you better?

attached file SW 2012

test_symetriser_un_lissage_avec_la_meme_origine1.sldprt
1 Like