Zero Thickness Geometry Error

Hello

In this particular time of confinement, I take this opportunity to reflect on unresolved problems in SolidWorks 2016 due to lack of time in normal times.

Let me explain, when creating a sketch you can create a piece:

• By validating "Extruded bosses" we then create volume bodies by unchecking the "Merge result" box.
  • However, during an "Extruded material removal" this option is not available and therefore it is impossible to remove this part in the form of a body

In my example, on the file "Essai.sldprt" attached to illustrate my request, I would have liked the hole to be tangent to the recess, if the sketch respects this constraint, an error occurs "Geometry of zero thickness" to remedy this problem I am forced to modify the diameter of the hole which instead of being 10 goes to 9.95 or 10.05.

However, this solution poses a problem of accuracy when switching to machining.

So my question is, is there a better solution for this kind of situation?

Thank you in advance for your answers and above all protect yourself.

essay.sldprt

Hello

Indeed, SOLIDWORKS does not know how to handle this kind of case. In any case, the machining will not really be easy to carry out because it will cause a risk of deviation of the tool!

If you still want to make this hole you can put a value close to 10 for example 9.9999mm, the value will be rounded to 10 for your dimension and the function will be able to execute correctly.

Kind regards

trou.png
2 Likes

Hello

Another way to tinker to make it work is to make your hole in the desired location and dimensions, 

but to make a small additional cut so as not to have the problem of zero geometry.

In the photo I am attaching, I exaggerated by putting 1mm thick for the cut, but that's just so that you can visualize well. This value can be reduced to 0.001mm and it will work too. 

With this method, at least the hole is in the right place and it has the right dimensions.

Kind regards

Gauthik

geometrienonnulle.png

Thank you for your answers, but I was  hoping that there was a standard procedure to avoid this difficulty.