Multiple single sketch or one complicated sketch?

Hello

In Solidworks, is it better to draw a sketch for each function to be made or a single sketch allowing several functions to be attached to it?

Thank you for your answers.

1 Like

One sketch per function

@+ ;-))

4 Likes

The answer is in the question! A single simple sketch per function is much easier to manage than a large sketch for all functions which, as soon as you modify it a little, will mistake all the functions that are attached to it!!

6 Likes

It all depends on the type of work to be done, its complexity, etc...

But for some functions, it is best to have several sketches.

So +1 @Gt22

2 Likes

I will add to @gt22's answer that this does not only apply to Solidworks but to CAD in general.

1 Like

Hello

Agree with everyone and in addition it makes it easier to create configurations/family of parts with functions that can be managed separately (deleted state or not etc...)

Kind regards

3 Likes

I will add that it is more practical when importing the dimensions of the 3D model into a drawing (insertion\Model object...). With a single sketch, all the dimensions appear at once, whereas with several sketches, only the dimensions of the feature appear.

1 Like

Hello

In the same way as my colleagues, I think that a sketch by function is more practical to manage.

But it must be said that SolidWorks handles sketches used in several functions very well:

For example, a cube with a hole can be drawn in a single sketch, and we use the outer outline for extrusion to create the cube, then the outline of the circle for material removal (a drilling function is preferable but this is an example).

In addition, SolidWorks offers schematic representation in assemblies, which allows a top-down design, depending mainly on the trade, for more information, see this link:

http://help.solidworks.com/2012/French/SolidWorks/sldworks/Assembly_Layout_Sketch.htm?id=54e64ca585d449e19647404577bedb76#Pg0

2 Likes

Overall, it's better to sketch by function.

But you always have to think about the problem and it may be that a sketch serving as a general framework for the part can be used to create several functions on it, knowing that if there is a modification, you just have to make it on this initial sketch.

Being able to make several functions on the same sketch offers an additional possibility in the execution strategy of a part that sometimes has to be remembered.

2 Likes