Recurrent Searches

Hello

In my design I use recurring cutting functions (e.g. harting socket, screen location .....) is there a function in solidworks that would allow you to save sketches that could then be inserted on one side to do the extrusion?

Why save the complete function(s )?

It is possible to make the functions you use often and then save them under a library function, so that with a simple drag and drop you can reuse a set of functions without having to redraw them.

4 Likes

Personally, I transform sketches into 2D blocks under draft and I glue them to make my cuts under solid.

I have a DWG file where everything is stored that I call when I need it. Ctrl C, Ctrl V. 

I think fthomas is right. Make a library of sketches that you can reuse indefinitely in any position. These can be simple sketches, sketches as blocks, or even dxf or dwg files that you can insert directly into your 3D from your task pane design library.

Kind regards

2 Likes

Hello jscao,

You can create blocks of your sketches. All you have to do is select the elements you want to insert into the block and then right-click and use the "create block" button.

You can then save them in a specific folder, for example.

Finally, you can create a link in the design database (see image) so that you can quickly access them and simply insert them by dragging and dropping.

Kind regards.

sans_titre.png
1 Like

Hello

I rather agree with fthomas, rather than creating libraries of sketches or sketch blocks, you might as well create function libraries (lib feat part) to do so, create a folder in the library folder (right pane) and then select the function(s) you want to put in the library and drag them into this folder, You will then need to enter a name on this library as well as other parameters.

mon_usinage.sldlfp

Of course, the library functions (LibFeatPart) are interesting because it is possible to create configurations and therefore use standard sizing, but their use can be a bit tricky. Indeed, it is necessary to manage the sketch constraints, the external dimensions, the internal dimensions of the function, the positioning references etc ... I think that in the case of "jscao" you just have to create a sketch library.

Cdlt

Thank you all for your answers, I was testing your different solutions.

The dwg file with the copy paste, great hack especially to repatriate my autocad 2d database, the only flaw I find is that the sketch is not constrained, so to modify it's a little more restrictive, I prefer to use it only occasionally when I repatriate a sketch + extrusion without modifying it.

The sketch saved in block is perfect, I hadn't paid attention to this "create block" toolbar it's exactly what I was looking for.

Otherwise with the library functions I think it could be useful for other applications (cutting sketch with 4 tapped holes) I'm looking for how to integrate the functions into the blocks, because when I try it also brings me back to the basic solid of my part.

for library functions, you have to save the file in SLDLFP, once it's done when you open the file there are green Ls on the functions that will be repatriated, if the basic block should not come you simply have to exclude it from the library by right-clicking on the "remove from library" function

Thank you very much, I have the solution I needed for the sketches, for the blocks as it was said it's a little more complicated I'll look into it later, since it presses me less.

The problem I have with the files that come from autocad in dwg c is precisely the sizes (between mm and inch for the harting socket dimensions for example).

That's why I go through Draft before sending to solidworks. I create my block in Draft and then I paste it in solidworks.

It's a hack to recover existing dwg.