Dynamic test on guardrail

Hello

As a test, I would like to carry out a dynamic test on any railing in order to check its resistance (as during the checks by the control offices). Not having solidworks simulation with the dynamic module, I carried out a motion study with a 50kg bag dropped at a defined height (assembly provided). Then I programmed the simulation module and was forced to model the railing in a single volume.

When I do my motion simulation, I find erroneous results in terms of constraints/displacement. Can you tell me if it is possible to simulate this test with solidworks motion (and if so, tell me how to do it) or do you need to have the dynamic module?

Thank you in advance.

essai_dynamique.rar

What exactly will the simulation be about?

Is it a shock that you want to simulate or a force applied to the guardrail?

1 Like

Hello

This kind of test is indeed a shock. So not easy to simulate.

On the other hand, you have to use a "soft" body that will deform strongly during contact. This adds to the difficulty of carrying out this type of calculation.

If it is only a question of validating the performance of a guardrail, there are cases of static tests in the standards (300 N/m * the distance between 2 successive posts applied 1 time to the centre of the handrail and 1 time to the top of a memory post). On most industrial railings, this can even be done by hand.

Hello

In fact, it is the mother-in-law test.

Dropping a bag of 50 kg of green  balls to a 1-metre high with a pendulum system is a dynamic test.

We bought inventor sumilation because we thought we could do this type of verification.

But unfortunately this is not possible, the software is not designed for this kind of study.

During a trip to the geode (meeting organized by autodesk) I had seen a software that could have been suitable. I don't remember the name but it was a software for the calculation of a diving board with a simulation system.

Sorry but you will have to go through the trial box for your study.

Kind regards

2 Likes

Yes, it's this test and in any case thank you all for your answers.

Hi @ grezland

See this link

http://www.lynkoa.com/tutos/creer-une-section-pour-appliquer-une-force-ou-pression-avec-simulation

maybe this will help you calculate an effort on your bodyguard

@+ ;-)