Can I open a file on solidworks future version with my solidworks 2015

Hello Group,

I found a model on Grabcad  that interests me unfortunately I can'  t open it with  my solidworks 2015. Do you know a way to open these files or does Grabcad offer a way to convert this file.

Thank you

Hello

SolidWorks does not allow you to save a model in a format from an earlier version, nor does it allow you to open a model created with a "future" version.
However, the models registered on Grabcad are often offered in various formats (Parasolid, STEP, IGES, etc.) which allow them to be retrieved with old versions. At the cost of a loss of information at the level of the creative structure, which depends on the format chosen.

If your Grabcad template does not offer you an alternative format, a charitable soul will be able to convert it for you if you give the link to the Grabcad page you are interested in. It's Christmas...

Kind regards

2 Likes

I just want to say that it is possible to open a future version with a read-only SP5, 

I believe that SP5 only allows you to open a file of the next higher version (in the case of @fauteux1959, it would therefore be 2016 max)