Can an SLDSAM package be merged?

Hello

What do you mean by "merging" a SLDSAM??? With what?

I would say register it as a .part, and then merge the different bodies if necessary.

1 Like

I don't understand your question

I'll try to answer

you have an assembly created

You can add (insert or create) another assembly or a sub-assembly on it with the constraints that go well

you can once you have saved them either in assembly

either in part (i.e. your assembly in this case will only be one and only one piece)

@+ ;-)

Hello

I would add that to save in .part and keep more ease in terms of constraints you have to select by rooms and not by surface (at the bottom left of the save as window )

2 Likes

As mentioned before, it is possible to save an assembly as a part (with the option All the components), once the part is open you can select the volume bodies in the shaft and do the combine function, if all the bodies are touched by surfaces it will result in a component with a single volume body.

It is also possible to use the Join function if all the components of the set do not need to be merged together.

2 Likes

Fthomas, thank you for your answer, it's the most suitable solution for my needs.

Thanks again

Hi @ fthomas

I find the combined function very heavy

especially if you want to be able to modify an internal dimension

Takes a test Evaluate Statistic

99.43% of the rebuild time for the combine function on the set

Attached screenshot + file

http://img802.imageshack.us/img802/714/8p9f.png

@+ ;-)

filet_metrique.sldprt

@gt22

The export of the assembly as a part file, in any case, generates dead volumes, so the modification of the internal dimensions is in any case impossible with this function.

To reduce the reconstruction time, you can (once the bodies are combined in the part) export the part in Parasolid (.x_t format) and then import it back into Solidworks, you will end up with a single dead volume body.

If you want to keep the possibility of modification (of moving parts or changing their dimension) and therefore a dependency between the original assembly and the final merged part, you must use the join function which creates a part component with an external reference to the assembly.

so we agree 

If you save your assembly in part, no possibility of moulting anything

if you combine the same

What is the advantage of combining?

one way or another once you've done your assembly

_en general it is registered as such so always recoverable if need to change a config

These different configs can themselves be saved as parts, or in assembly

with the refs that go well

Hello

Personally I see only one interested in registering an assembly in .part, lightening the complex assembly by intergranting lighter subassemblies.

Personally I use this function only when I want to do several configs like option 1 option 2 etc for the purpose of making an edrawing presentation.

The interest of registering a part assembly can also be to transmit a file in SOLIDWORKS or export format to a subcontractor for the integration of one of your products into a SOLIDWORKS design or other software.

So combining the bodies allows you to "flatten" the design (provided you re-export in a neutral format before shipping) and to avoid any type of fraudulent use of your solidworks models.

after the question is "Can we merge an SLDSAM set" without further details so I gave the two methods available in solidworks to do it