Is it possible to make design rules in SolidWorks?

Hello

As indicated in the title, my question is very simple: is it possible to create design rules in SolidWorks as well as in Catia?
By this I mean, linking a dimension or a parameter with a function or whatever. A conditional loop: example:

If the "material removal" function = activated  then
       Cote_diamètre = 20 mm
Otherwise Cote_diamètre = 15 mm

Maybe this function is named differently or it doesn't work the same.

Thank you for your answer, Have a nice day

Yes, there are equations on CATIA, just like on SolidWorks.

Hello

What do you mean by equation please?
Because if you talk about numerical equations, that's not my question and I know how to do it.

To be clearer, here's what I call the design rule in Catia. Now, I would like to know if the same function is available on SolidWorks and if so, where can I find it please?

1 Like

Hello

My answer: Yes and no

Yes, because we can create rules in equations to activate or not activate functions.

No, because Sw does not have a specific editor like on Catia or Inventor.

Personally, when there are too many rules, I prefer to do a macro in vba. But unlike code editors like catia or inventor, you need to know a minimum of sw objects.

Kind regards.

2 Likes

Hello

apart from equations, I don't see how to do it under SW. You can create conditions based on configurations. 

e.g. http://www.lynkoa.com/tutos/import-export-formats-neutres/piloter-une-r%C3%A9f%C3%A9rence-externe-selon-une-configuration

You can create a function design library with configuration

See this tutorial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWxaynRpd6A

@+

If you start to get into complicated stuff and with billions of conditions (typically what I see in your screenshot), the nice thing under SW is the excel part family.

This allows you to control, your dimensions, your tolerances, your functions.... in solidworks with all the power of excel to put equations, conditions, make calculations....

With this you can do almost anything you want in terms of riding rules.

I have built a family of parts allowing to draw a valve body from Dn 10 to Dn 500 with excel.

The interest of excel is that you can also refer to external files if you have basic files that are used for a lot of design (you have to manage the file locations well though).

In the end it's super powerful and very easy to get to grips with if you don't master macros.

4 Likes

It is true that the part family can be a solution.

may the force be with you.

Thank you very much froussel!

It's true that I'm not used to working with excel yet being new to SolidWorks but indeed it leaves a lot of opportunities.

Hello Roub25.

Take a look at DriveWorks technology!

For example, DriveWorksXpress is free and included in all versions of SOLIDWORKS.

Sincerely.

Thomas

2 Likes