Is it possible to use dimensions other than the function dimensions for a room family?

Hello

As part of a project for my school, I need to link a spreadsheet to a CAD file (STEP, possibility to redo it).

I plan to do my study on Solidworks although I am more efficient on CATIA.

I found a way to link my spreadsheet using part families, but this approach only accepts function dimensions (on the sketch) as data. However, on a STEP file, there is only a "dead" body without a sketch and when I measure using reference dimensions, the data is not taken into account.

Is there a way to get around this problem or to use another means of measurement that I don't know?

Hello

The part family manages functions or dimensions of the model to be able to vary them. So in this case, since it is a "dead" body, there is nothing to control except its deletion state.

3 Likes

As Cyril.f says, a dead solid is not configurable because no controllable dimension data exists.

I see 2 solutions, either redo the file in native SolidWorks to be able to control the desired dimensions via the part family, or go through the "Automatic Function Recognition" that you can then control but the result depends a lot on the geometry of your part.

4 Likes

Thank you for your answers,

I'm thinking of redoing the file on solidworks if I can't find another solution.