Step to update Solidworks

Hello everyone!

I'm currently on SW19 and I'm getting ready to update on 2020. I'm new to Solidworks and I'd like to know if there are things to do or not to do to avoid having errors following the software upgrade (file compatibility problem etc). Knowing that I am the only cartoonist in the company so no problem of compatibility with other positions.

Hello

Being in the same case:

-  I make a backup of the SW configuration "save/restore settings"

- Backup of files and libraries.

- just in case you have profiles for mechanics in the original folder (personally I avoid and I create my own company folder)

- There you can deactivate your current license "deactivate licenses"

- download  and install the new SW

- re-activation of the license.

For the 2018-> 2019 transition I didn't need to reconfigure the toolbars or give back the paths except materials it seems to me.

3 Likes

If you can, it is recommended that you uninstall version n-1 before installing version N.

Make a complete download that you will save on a stick or an external drive (allow between 15 and 20GB).
Do this download now to be sure to have it when you decide to do your migration, depending on your connection, it takes a little time.

WARNING, if you want to keep the 2 versions, don't forget that a file saved by an N version is no longer editable by the N-1 version. So you'll need to separate the template files and other libraries.

As it's your first time, plan a short half-day (I'm very large if it goes well), without having a file to hand in the next day...

3 Likes

Thank you for your advice!