Explanation: List of Safety Factors Simlation Buckling

Hi all

I have a doubt about the use of the simulation tool, especially the buckling. In the training we were given, we had to multiply the loads of the part tested by the static safety factor. In order to have a Cs of 1. From there, copy the study into a new buckling study and analyze. Consult the list of safety factors in the "results" section and interpret the results.

Let me explain. Example: (Data are eligible)

For a 50x50 tube chassis loaded with 1000kg, the static safety factor will be, let's say... of 8. So to calculate the buckling safety factors, I load my 1000 x 8 chassis or 8000kg. And I run my buckling analysis, which will give me as many safety factors as the requested scenarios.

Is this the right method?

I find it curious to overload a structure in order to know if it is on fire. It may soar to 8000kg but not necessarily to 1000kg.

So if you can help me on the subject....

Thanks in advance!

Hello

I also don't see why to "cancel" the static safety factor to do a buckling analysis. 

This would mean that the resistance to buckling depends on the elastic limit of the material (it would even be inversely proportional). However, from memory, buckling depends only on the geometric characteristics (section and length) and probably on Young's modulus (but it does not change for the same material).

2 Likes

Hello Chamade,

Yes absolutely, buckling depends on the length and cross-section of the profile. Moreover, Euler's formula demonstrates this well... Buckling = sq. ft. E.i / L²

E=Young's modulus, i= quadra moment

But it doesn't help me in my problem.... Thank you anyway