Export SW structure to Structural Robot

Hi all

During the tests in Inventor, it was possible to export the structure to the .rtd format in order to import it into the Autodesk Structural Robot calculation software.

Do you know if it's possible to do the same with SW? Should we go through another format?

We tested the . DWG, step, ifc, sat and igs but without real success....

Thank you!

Aurélien

Hello

In my opinion the only solution would be to go through a neutral format to import into Invetor to export in RTD.

Since the two software programs are part of the same company, they try to keep as much control over the whole process as possible.

3 Likes

I am indeed afraid that .PL is right.

maybe you can test a scheme by exporting in DWG, then open it with Autocad and see if it's then possible to do it in RTD

(if you have everything in 3D, maybe it works with autocad 3D? I admit I don't know much about this software :s)

Does it still smell like a bit of a messed up footbridge;)

2 Likes

Yes, the big problem is that we want to get the 3D sketch (the skeleton) of the structure in order to put it in Robot, but:

It seems to me (to be confirmed) that it is impossible to convert a SW sketch to a dwg or another format because the export will only take the 3D bodies.

So I'm stuck on this export point ...

@coin37coin, I can actually do this "shenanigans" by going through Inventor which converted to RTD format but I can't find this bridge between my 3D SW sketch and the DWG

1 Like

But it's strange that in SAT or AICI, it doesn't work, see this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eb54_D4QSvo

Otherwise, the only roundabout way I see, but it can take a little time, is to export the DWG of the front, side and top views. Then in DraftSight for example, reconstruct the 3D DWG "by hand"... to export it afterwards...

I just watched your video and indeed it works on volume but I didn't manage to export a 3D sketch. I think the software converts surfaces into data but since a 3D sketch is wireframe, it doesn't find a surface.

1 Like

Yes indeed for a 3D sketch remains the other solution I proposed in my last message, but it's tedious.

Hello

Late answer but hey, I just did the test at a customer and in IGES by checking the export options of SolidWorks, the export of 3d sketches and or 3d curves, it works.

@+

2 Likes