Extracting New Parts from a Mechanically Welded Part

Hi all

A little background: I created a one-piece mechanically welded set (several frames welded together). As a good ball and chain I didn't think that for the plans I needed each frame independently... How do you extract each frame or bracon from a single mechanically welded piece? If possible, keep the links between new and original parts if I still have changes to make...

Thanks in advance

capture.png

Hello

To tell the truth, I don't feel it, because you will have to remake sub-assemblies that will be assembled in your main ASM.

So inevitably in your main ASM, you may have to put constraints back.

I offer you the "bully method" while waiting for our fellow champions of mechanically welded mechanics to give you a better answer.

Starting from your main ASM, you make as many copies as frames, which gives you ASM-1 to ASM-4. From then on you don't touch your main ASM

You go back to each ASM-"n" and you remove everything that is not related to frame 1 for example. You save each sub-ASM

When you have made all your sub-assemblies, you create your main ASM and with only a few basic constraints you reconstitute your main ASM.

As for the bracons, I don't know if we shouldn't proceed in the same way with a little luck as they look to be the same size; you just have to make a "bracon-type" subassembly with the same method and assemble it in the new "ASM principal-bis".

On the other hand, since everything was done in welded mechanics and probably with welded sketches, I don't guarantee that it won't make you swarm everywhere.

You can always try on a subset and see if it works.

I do this when I recut parts of large ASM into Sub-ASM: when I have to give sub-assemblies to two different subcontractors, either for technical reasons or discretion. Thus, for discretion, no subcontractor knows the machine or part of a machine as a whole.

Kind regards

1 Like

Soft method: select the bodies to appear in the view (button at the top in the feature manager of the view).

Frankly boring method: make configs with body removal functions.

3 Likes

Hello Stefbeno

Does the soft method allow you to make MEPs of each frame and each Bracon.

Ok for the config method but can you tell us the advantages compared to the semi-rough method I propose.
I had understood that the advantage of the configurations was mainly intended for something other than unique ASMs (which we don't know in Clément's request).

If it's an assembly that you only do once, what about the advantage of the config.   (it's to instruct me that I'm asking you this because I never use configs and it may be a mistake   ;-)      )

Kind regards

1 Like

Thank you for your answers:)

The problem is that simply hiding in the plan is not enough because we have a designation block (internal to the box) that takes the personal properties of each part, so I would end up with each part on a plan, but all with the same designation block.

I'm testing a 3rd way: brute force by doing "right click/insert in a new room". After a test, a priori, it keeps the updates. I'm going to test this more thoroughly.

It's a unique assembly but I understood what Stefbeno offers, hide all the other frames except 1 in each configuration. The problem is that in the SolidWorks configuration here the configs keep the same name in the desi block for a part.... Go figure out (the worst thing here is that I'm forbidden to build in the context....) in short for now it works:)

1 Like

Hello everyone,

I bounce back on the question despite it being a closed question
Or a mechanically welded assembly in a single piece: OK

Why in MEPs don't make views relative to the model, applying it only to the selected bodies
Or even more simply views with "body selections" as proposed, if I understand it correctly, Stefbeno.

For the "Designation" block, I don't really understand. Is it an annotation?
To retrieve the information of each profile, why  not go to the list of welded parts, right-click on an element -> properties, add the "designation" property and fill in the field. Repeat the operation for each body. Then in the MEP, create an annotation related to the "designation" property in the "Selected object in view" mode... or something similar (I don't have SW in front of me)
All that remains is to put the annotations on the welded mechanic bodies to see the information.

Or I didn't understand anything on request :-)

A+

@Hubert: The "Designation" block is certainly linked to one or more custom properties.

@ClementMerlin:
- What's weird is that with the configs it gets stuck. But you have to set the properties as configuration-specific (i.e. remove the default).
- The ban on building in the context is not necessarily a bad idea given the problems it causes later: it requires very rigorous management and if you want to reuse a part it becomes complicated.

@Zozo_mp:
- the selection of bodies makes it possible to display in a view (and its derived views) only the desired bodies (so in this case, a single pocon or a chassis made up of several bodies);
- The advantage of the configs over your method is a possible time saving depending on the purpose of the whole.
Basically, the configs can be used either in case of multiple positions (cylinder retracted or extended, for example), or in case of a common base with small variations (on a standard product, we could talk about options). There are still the dirty tricks to catch up with the branches.