Faceting a smooth shell

Hi all

New here, I admit that I'm a little lost in front of my problem: I modeled a case, the design of the internal is finished and the exterior looks a bit "slug". I am looking to create a faceted rendering (hexagons for example) in order to bring a more modern side to the look of my box ... A bit in the spirit of the Musée des Confluances in Lyon for those who know.

Does anyone know if this is possible and how to do it? I suspect that people who do design don't rely on the faces to draw 1 to 1, right?

Hello

Can you put us a screen print of the room with the part you would like with veneers? Is your part in surface? 

2 Likes

Hello

The outer volume was originally built on the surface, a few radii and extrusions, then a shell (injected part, constant thickness etc.), splitting (box/lid), and work on the integration geometries of the interior of the enclosure.

In PC an example of what the hull could look like.

capture.png

Hello

Try to convert the part into STL with poor quality, it tends to create facets

The idea is good... But the result is disappointing because given the size of the part, the triangles are not that big (even with the coarsest settings). So the rendering is cheaper than  design ...

Hello

Did you try to put a texture?

example:

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/c9/cf/02/c9cf0249b0d69a81875501a6576e14cc--fabric-textures-wall-textures.jpg

S.B

1 Like

Can you put your piece, I'll edit it and you'll see how I did the same.

1 Like

My problem is not to have "an image" of facets but the facets themselves

>> making a mold based on the 3D afterwards, so it is necessary to have the shapes in real life.

But aesthetically , it's exactly what I'm looking for.

ok if it has to be on the whole room it will be super complicated...

1 Like

In this case, you have to roll up your sleeves and make cut-outs in all directions on the outside.

S.B

1 Like

@AC Cobra: here is a .prt "for example". I'm not sure I can get the 3D out of the walls of my box.

boitier_cordon.zip

Of course it's a lot of work but as long as you're in the surface you could make "n" 3D sketches that you fill, then you sew them together and merge the result with your existing one.

If I understand correctly, do you want to split your volume a little in the idea of a geodesic dome?

1 Like

See this link https://wiki.mcneel.com/fr/rhino/meshfaq

With Rhino you have possibilities to adjust your mesh

@+

1 Like

@dbz: Yes, in spirit, that's right! but on a rather awkward model...

@gt22: I'll see if Rhino can help handle that. Never used.

1 Like

I couldn't open the play because it was made in 2017, but to give you an example of how I would have done it.

Look at the first seven pages of my tutorial. I would have repeated this action several times and then made repetitions and symmetries to achieve something using the faces of your coin as a plane.

http://www.lynkoa.com/sites/default/files/chapeau_pyramidale_depliable.pdf

There in the tutorial it's in square but it works for rectangle and triangle and Ø.

@ you to have fun ^_^

the method (for a triangular mesh) is not complicated: make a 3D sketch that clings to the surface of your part.

The problem is how you want to handle the concave parts.