Make a cut

Hello

It's a question that sounds stupid but not at all! ;)
Basically, I would like to make a cut on a building using a material removal but the building refuses to be cut in half...

It is an assembly file of several elements: My building and a production line inside. Basically, it's a WWTP import, so my building is made up of a single piece in surface, I don't know if that's why the removal of material refuses to apply but it annoys me a lot:(

What to do?

Thank you:)

If you are in an assembly, try to check the box "propagate the function to parts".

But why not use the section view function?

coupe.png
3 Likes

Because I want to do a drawing with this :s

It doesn't work even when propagating the function to the parts:(

Hi Joss,

If the building is on a surface, that's precisely the problem! The removal of material is done on volume!

If you want a cross-section, the only solution in terms of assembly is a "cross-sectional view".

Edit: I hadn't seen that @Bart had proposed the cross-sectional view!

2 Likes

Haaaa... I have no way to cut surface so?? because I want to make a plan and I have to jar some walls so that it's readable...

And a cross-sectional view does not go to the plan...

Hello

Which version of SW are you using? Because the old versions did not allow for the drawing of surface components.

Otherwise, in fact, it is not possible to remove material from surfaces in an assembly. :-(

Eventually, you would have to register the assembly as a part and at that time you can do a surface removal, or use the restricted surfaces...

Kind regards

2 Likes

Well, so, I still managed to do it, I had to perform an import diagnosis which turned my part into "Imported", once this was done, I managed to make my cuts, with a bit of a struggle, I got several error messages such as "function impossible to solve, it would generate zero thickness" but by insisting a little, I got my result brilliantly;)

Thank you for your answers!!

1 Like

Hello, I fully agree with jmsavoyat, I was going to propose the same thing.

But I still haven't understood why you didn't use the "Sectional View" tool

It's the simplest and quickest thing to do. And above all, clearer! =)

@Bart well because I want to make a plan that excludes certain walls of my building for more readability and it turns out that the cross-sectional views made in the assembly do not reflect in the drawings...

In addition, I tried to remove certain specific pieces of pieces, which the cross-sectional view does not allow me.