3DXML extension file

Hello

Can we read a file with the extension 3DXML with solidworks? If so, what is the procedure to follow?

Thank you in advance

Hello

For me, the only solution is to have a DATAKIT-type interface to do it.

Otherwise, as standard in SolidWorls, it doesn't exist.

@+

Hello

Really not easy...

The technology of 3DXML is totally different from the so-called "standard" formats in CAD.

It is a polygonal modeler, whereas SW is a parametric modeler.

In short, in a way (SW => 3DXML), it works very well, you can also export SW in 3DXML without bp (it seems to me).

But the other way around, it's doable but honestly, very difficult.

As soon as you have found an intermediate format to make the connection, transforming the polygonal file into a parametric one will create a lot of surface errors.

You will have to make all these mistakes before re-exporting to a SW-compatible format.

We might as well forget, it's wiser.

What is the end goal?

If it's for visualization only, there is a viewer for 3DXML: http://www.3ds.com/fr/produits-et-services/3d-xml/lecteur/

You can also open 3DXML files with Solidworks Composer

1 Like

Hello

Indeed, the purpose is important.

In any case, 3DXML is just a compilation of .cgr files (Catia neutral). In Catia, you can make measurements or move parts, but this remains approximate given the simplifications made during the conversion.

If it's just to visualize, see @fthomas's answer.

If it's to be used as an environment, it's better to ask for an .iges or .step file. Even in Catia, you can't take a reference on a cgr file for example.

Thank you for your answers.

For visualization, I was able to read the file with edrawing. I wanted to go further by taking a survey of the odds.

Due to lack of time at the moment, I will do the proposed tests later

Kind regards