STL file cannot be modified

Hello.

On an STL file that I would like to modify, Solidworks tells me that "This model has too many surfaces. Try to open it with the graphics body option".

That's what I'm doing. The figurine appears well but it is in STL Graph. I can't change it at all.

I tried to save it in SLDPRT but it remains immodifiable.

Is there a way to make it modifiable, for example, to drill a hole in the cross?

Thank you all.

Hello 

Solidworks allows you to transform graphics into solid bodies, but there are conditions and it's not easy. The choice of method depends on the complexity of the model.

Can we have an image of the STL in question? Or the stl file itself. I could tell you what solution to use.

First of all, read the import graphic tutorial

Thank you soring.

I do a lot of 3D printing. Even if it's 99% of the mechanical part, I'd like to be able to make simple modifications on the miniature.

I attach for example this cat.

cat_t.stl

If the modifications consist of drilling only or adding simple bosses then there is a direct solution. It's all in the file. You must have at least 2018 version. I believe later versions have more advanced features but I'm not sure.

Start by importing the stl by opening it normally.

Then do as in the attached image

screenshot_2.png

Then follow the steps in this sw file.

The important thing is to understand that Boolean operations are only possible if the two bodies are of the same "type". You can't break through directly. You have to go through a solid extrusion by unchecking the fusion. Then transform the standard solid into a graphic solid. After that, subtraction or union is possible.

cat_solide.sldprt
1 Like

Thank you soring. 

Unfortunately I have the 2014 Premium version. It's already been several times that I've needed functions that are missing from this version. This penalizes me a lot because I spend a lot of hours every week on Solidworks. 

Good luck.

Hello Viking

Did you read this post?

here

Try to do a volume import

if can pass if your step isn't too rotten 

@+

Hello.

Yes soring, I read the post. But I can't  get a license to add this function.

Yes, gt22 (still faithful to the post as far as I can see) I opened the STL file in volume. But Solidworks considers the form too complex. It works with Fusion 360 but this software is a real hassle to handle.