Solidworks Thread 2016 - Where are the GAS threads?

Hi all

I need to represent a thread.
I'll stop you, of course I know how to make a thread by removing swept material (following a coube, helical sketch).

But since in the SolidWorks 2016 version there is a quick thread creation function, I would like to know what the designation or specification is.
Thanks in advance

filetage_solidworks_2016.jpg

Hello

In general it is not recommended to represent threads in 3D, and moreover it looks like they forgot the gas threads in the new 2016 function!

So a thread representation, as before should work:

Insertion> Annotation> Thread representation (or by hand with a scan).

2 Likes

Thanks anyway, but in the drilling assistance function there is an automatic representation when creating a hole + thread which is: Insertion > Annotation > Thread representation.

But thank you anyway.

1 Like

Ah, I thought it was a thread on a tree.

For a tap, yes the basic function works very well!

1 Like

Whether threading or tapping, the new feature does both. =)

When do we look at the new function, we have the INCH standards.
But it's incomprehensible

filetage_solidworks_2016_-_type.jpg
1 Like

Yes I know that the new function does the 2, I was specifying that for a gas thread, which the new function does not do, it can be done on a shaft only with a thread representation, and not with the drilling wizard:)

For the inches, there's the conversion here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_Thread_Standard#Designation

But don't try to get into conversions!

1 Like

Be careful not to confuse UNC and UNF threads/taps with GAS threads /taps.

One inch (UNC or UNF) is equal to 25.4mm while one GAS inch is equal to 33.25mm

In the SW2015 version, the GAS threads can be implemented with the "drilling assistance" function (see attached file).

To make a thread, you have to go through "Insertion > Annotation > Thread Representation" as mentioned above.

If they forgot the GAZ threads in the 2016 version, it's a shame. I use them regularly.

gaz.png
2 Likes

Hello phillip. B,

From what you say, it's true, I use the same function for gas threads. (perfect for my plans)
What I'm talking about is the graphical representation of a thread or thread for my data sheets.
My question was if there was the GAS thread / thread in the thread function of solidworks 2016?!
But I see that there is none.
See JPG below.

Thank you for taking your time.
Have a nice day

explication.png
1 Like

@PhilippeB : Gas threads are still present in the drilling wizard and drilling representations in 2016, it is only in 3D threads that they are not present.

I don't know if it's an oversight, I think it will be rather useful to those who have to model threads for the bottle for example, they have put a standard especially for this type of thread (sp4xx bottle)

A+

Mick

1 Like

Hello

The new thread function is mainly made to have a real representation of the thread, for 3D printing, bottle threads or as in your case instructions.

This function is based on a fully customizable 2D profile library (as for profiles), so I can only advise you to create your personal profiles using the existing ones.

In the file locations options you will find the path to the base profiles, copy them to a directory of your own and re-add your profiles then declare them in the options back in the file locations.

@+

2 Likes

the pitch of the gas is the same as a WHILTWORTH pitch

so  of English standard see the toolboxes in English

See attached

See this link

https://books.google.fr/books?id=cUtjCwAAQBAJ&pg=SL9-PA5&lpg=SL9-PA5&dq=Whitworth+solidworks+2016&source=bl&ots=_8x6o1iJFc&sig=QIAZjnxnBbTznf3WgS1fUqWo1gQ&hl=fr&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiByo-2gtfLAhVFXRoKHQQmDsYQ6AEIggEwBw#v=onepage&q=Whitworth%20solidworks%202016&f=false

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filetage_gaz

@+ ;-)

1 Like

[SolidWorks] Thread function in solidworks

Hello everyone,

Today I invite you to discover a new feature for 2016, the "threading" function .

In the 2015 and earlier versions of SolidWorks, the representation of threads in 3D is a simple texture, for the simple reason that representing this machining would consume far too many resources.

Indeed, in SolidWorks the number of strokes has a great impact on the reconstruction time. It is therefore often advisable not to represent these threads in 3D.

You can if you wish, thanks to the 2016 novelty, represent threads in volume but to be used sparingly because it increases the size and reconstruction time of the file. 

This function can be found in the drilling wizard tab. 

The function is only applicable to cylinders and offers you the possibility of making threads or taps.

It is possible to cut the thread or thread standard  , set the direction and type of end condition.

Here are some results: 

Happy designing and see you soon on LeGuide3D.