Flow Simulation: creation of new equipment: milk powder

Good evening
I am currently in Terminale S SI and for the BAC I have a project to prepare: I am on a bottle preparer.
At this point I have to create a simulation for the descent of the powder by gravity, but this equipment does not exist. Should one be created? If this is the case, it is impossible for me to do it because I don't have the necessary information such as density, thermal conductivity, viscosity etc...
How can I do this?
Thank you in advance for your answers...

For gravity, it seems to me that the density, the particle size and in addition the humidity level are enough

I think it is the humidity level that can modify the particle size and density 

so you're missing some refs

6 Likes

I don't know about simulation but there isn't already an analogous "material" (like cement or flour) that could be used as a base?

4 Likes

Hello, I think you can also experience it in real life to enhance your study ;)!

1 Like

See this link among others

http://www.agroscope.admin.ch/trockenmilch/02034/index.html?lang=fr

Whole milk powder and skimmed milk powder

Chemical and Physical Properties of Whole Milk Powder and Skim Milk Powder

The important quality parameters for milk powder are the following microbiological quality, organoleptic properties and physicochemical properties:

• Water content
  • Fat content
  • Free Fat
  • Protein content
  • Mineral content
  • Titratable acid
  • Solubility, reconstitution 
  • Flowability
  • Bulk density
  • Heat load of skimmed milk powder (proportion of denatured whey proteins)
  • Burned particles
  • Particle size distribution
  • Residual oxygen in the packaging

That's what you have to work on

@+ ;-)

3 Likes

Good evening!

First of all, thank you very much for your answers! :)

To answer all the comments, no there are no other similar materials unfortunately available.

Aurélien: Yes, that's what I plan to do, but a simulation would have been better appreciated :/

gt22: I found this site but I don't have all the necessary info... :/ And no, it's not enough. I tested it but until I put all the info, it doesn't want to be validated :/

And what do you lack, you have the density, the granulometry,  the shape is said to be cilyndric

So to simulate a filling what do you need +?

I don't know exactly what you want to simulate but in what I had the opportunity to do in the field of powders, the most important parameter was the angle of the landslide cone (cone obtained by pouring the product on a horizontal flat surface). If, for example, a tank is made with a lower angle, the powder cannot flow.

What will be appreciated, amha, is that you do an experiment and that you integrate the results into your simulation.

1 Like