Hull function

Me and my great model again:)

I would like to use the "shell" feature, but once again, I didn't really understand what was wrong with the way I set it up:(

So since a picture is worth more than a long speech, here's the best I got: 

So the problem is that the 2nd "small" revolution doesn't want to be "shelled" at the same time as the "big" one. In this image it's done with 2 shell functions (one on each revolution), and obviously it doesn't fit. I tried to "merge the result" when I created the 2nd revolution, and now I can't do the "shell" function at all.

On the images you show it looks like you have 2 volumes. Normally if you merge the 2 volumes and redo your shell function it should work (delete and recreate the shell function)

Do you have the 3D file of your part to see?

1 Like

Yes there are 2 volumes, but when I configured the 2nd revolution function, I checked "Merge result", so it should only make me one, right?

1 Like

It's probably a silly question but you do the second revolution before doing the hull function?

2 Likes

Yes, yes:)

Hello, there is a body folder. Are there one or two? If the merge bodies box is checked in the second revolution and it doesn't work, you can try using the "combine" function.
3 Likes

@.PL Uh, no, I don't have a "Body" folder, here's what I have in the tree: 

If you were talking about the "Volume Bodies" folder, it was hidden, and it contains only 1 element that bears the name of the last function used (here the circular repetition for the holes).

1 Like

I say maybe a.

But I have the impression that the lower part of your small volume is not on the same plane as that of your large volume.

Maybe the mistake comes from there? What does it give you if the two surfaces are coplanar?

So, if this is the desired effect, you will have to rework this surface so that there is no small "step"

No, they are not on the same level. The small revolution is on a 45 degree plane compared to the front plane (or right plane I don't know anymore)

I was telling you about the plane below me (the one by which you hollow out your coins).

Because of the small step it makes, I have the impression that the software doesn't know how to do its function properly. You should try to smooth it out a little so that you only have one surface

I realigned the 2 lines that were used to make the 2 revolutions, so indeed I don't have the "small step" anymore, but in terms of the hull function it still looks like anything.

Can you show the ISO view below (as an image at the bottom right) before the case function?

1 Like

I see that you have rays on the lower parts of your two revolutions. 

However, I can't see where you create them in your building tree. Is that part of the smoothing? Or directly integrated into the revolution function?

If you try to create them after the hull function, do you still have the problem?

Maybe it's just that SolidWorks can't create a shell on such a volume. Is it possible to have the 3D file?

Sorry I took a little time to advance my piece a little more, since the next step was to cut it into 2 pieces, I thought it would make the work easier for the "shell" function but in fact I don't have the impression that much has changed.

The shell on the upper part, it does anything on the upper side of the smoothing (pink), if I stay with 4 profiles for the smoothing, it's fine, as soon as I add one of the remaining 4 the upper side is cut halfway.

For the lower part, I can "shell" on the top faces, but underneath I can do nothing. 

Afterwards, depending on the case, the "shell outwards" works. But my piece is the size I want, I don't intend to add material on the outside, but rather to remove some on the inside.

In short, I simplified the room a little and added pretty colors to facilitate communication:)

export.sldprt

What version of sw are you on?

Under SW15, by redoing the shell function just after the smoothing, there is no PB.

2015-06-16_coque.png

But in fact I may have misunderstood the usefulness of the shell function, but I want it to be perforated at the top and bottom.

I'm talking about the area circled in red here: 

it is enough after your hull function

make a material elevation via a sketch for your area circled in red

This sketch can be on the front or on an offset plane of everyone's choice

@+ ;-)

1 Like

Yes I had thought about that, but is it normal to have to do it by hand like that?