Screw and Tap Check Function

Hello

I'm under SW 2014

Is there a function to check that the screws in an assembly pass through the corresponding tapped hole?

example: if I have an M2.5 screw, and I have a tapped hole in M2, there is an error.

Have a nice day

Hello

It does not seem to me

Hello

It depends on the type of drilling used.

If the threads are not shown at all, you can use this option very easily:

http://help.solidworks.com/2012/French/SolidWorks/sldworks/c_Interference_Detection.htm

Otherwise, you can create a folder for the screws to see more easily: if a screw has a particular volume of interference, all screws of the same type will have the same volume of interference. But if there is a screw with a different volume, you have to take a closer look.

There is also the alignment of the holes:

http://help.solidworks.com/2012/French/SolidWorks/sldworks/HIDD_DVE_HOLEALIGNMENT.htm?id=84094ea16fbc4a00bc124f232bb8fefc

@.PL. If a screw M2 is in a tarraude M2, logically there is contact and therefore interference.

As a result, the interference detection will not be able to tell it if the screw is in the right tapped hole, simply that there is a contact between the two ... just like if an M5 screw was in M2.

And the alignment is the same. A passage of M5 can be well suited with a tarrauding of M2.

Unless there are special options?

1 Like

@coin37coin:

I agree, the last part for the alignment is off topic.

But as I said, it depends on the type of drilling used.

If we use "Remove thread" like here, then it's not a problem:

I then added (in case we don't use "remove thread" but another option): 

Otherwise, you can create a folder for the screws to see more easily: if a screw has a particular volume of interference, all screws of the same type will have the same volume of interference. But if there is a screw with a different volume, you have to take a closer look.

Edit:  It may not be understandable so I'll give more explanation: in fact, it's for a mass check that it will be interesting: if we know that an M5 screw of length L will interfere with with an M5 hole of say 0.3 cubic mm, then all screws should have such an interest. If this is not the case, the screw is bad: we will deal with the problem by default. And if we treat the contacts as references, with the screws in a file, it can already make the work a lot easier.

So that's the best solution I have to offer.

3 Likes

Okay with coincoin.

This function will take into account all interference whether with the nuts or in a tap, but this will not mean that the thread is the right one for your screw.

I would be more inclined to say that by inserting and constraining the screw you can detect it visually. :)

Ah ok .PL I saw your comment afterwards. Interesting solution;)

@.PL, I feel like I've you off a little bit (?) and I'm sorry about that. 

Moreover, unlike me, you present a solution to Pgosset.

Afterwards, it's true that I'm trying to understand the solution too and that your first explanation was a bit short for a workaround. And I tell myself that if I ask myself questions, others can also ask questions.

Nitpicking:

And suddenly, your 2nd message leads me to new questions (not typed!). If I understood correctly, you make your comparison from volume ... which seems to work well, if all the screws are the same.

But if you voluntarily put an M2 screw and an M6 screw in your assembly, then your results will necessarily be truncated. Unless you do your own volume calculations beforehand, add the volume of the M2 to that of the M6 multiplied by the amount of screws.

Now, let's say you put an M3 screw instead of the M2 and an M5 instead of the M6 ... it is possible that the volumes compensate each other (depending on the lengths, etc.) and suddenly make a good result look good when it is not 

1 Like

What I understood from .PL and tell me if I'm wrong :), is that if you have "remove the thread" (which is a tap in fact ;)) the M10 screw enters the M10 thread without collision so you consider that it's the right screw for the right tapping, on the other hand, if you put an M8 screw, same no collision and you don't see that it's the wrong screw. So it works for screws that are too big but not too small.

1 Like

Check out this tutorial Toolbox and Smart Fasteners

once you've made holes

He selects the right diameter for the screws so you are sure of the right diameter and pitch

It's up to you to know the length or the end component

https://youtu.be/4vTbyDJBkes

@+ ;-)

Not angry at all, it's true that after the fact the first explanation was not clear at all!

In fact, there is no ready-made solution, so I adapted the existing tools as needed, but indeed a screw that is too small will not appear in error like the others, so we can treat it! After that, of course it depends on the complexity of the assembly, as we work with a lot of sub-assemblies, it's simple and quick to set up on an assembly where there will be 4 to 5 types of screws.

But if you don't work with sub-assemblies and there are 50 types of screws with more than 500 parts and a lot of screws used only a few times, it allows you to rough up the work, but it's not infallible:)

2 Likes

Thank you for your answers

We'll have to wait for an evolution of SW then (one day...)

How can we make them report this?