Non-real thread start and end function

Hello

I would like to know if on SW2021 it is possible to model the beginning and end of a thread in a progressive way as done in machining?

On my design, the beginning and end of the thread are not at the end of the span but in the middle.

I would like to be able to validate the beginning and end by 3D printing and visually in CAD.

Does anyone know if it's possible or not?

Thank you

vue_filetage.jpg

Hello

I create a scan of the face that ends the thread abruptly following a 3D spline which is a continuation of the helical of the thread

If you're interested, I'll send you an example.

2 Likes

Will a simple chamfer be enough?

4 Likes

Hello @tous,

From my experience as a turner, I confirm the idea of @stefbeno, (for metals, plastics... No idea but looking at the thread of a plastic bottle, the Scan of @soring seems realistic to me :).

I also want to say that the SW threads are nominal, an M12 really is 11.8mm,

It depends on the type of thread / thread (metric, sheet metal screws, wood screws, or plastite). It also depends on the manufacturing technology. 

What you show looks like a plastic bottle . There is a well-defined standard for this type of net. And the start of the net is the one I depicted. SW doesn't know how to do it so it can be improvised. For the end of the thread, the face can remain perpendicular, no risk of jamming when unscrewed.

1 Like