Chain Sprocket Generator

Hi everyone,

I'd like to design a simple tool to generate sprockets and sprockets under SW in order to take out DXFs and have them laser cut.

The main input parameters are Pitch, Roller diameter and Number of teeth.

For my first example, I use the " T8F " chain standard which is a classic for small electric motors that can be found on the net.

The pitch is 8mm and the roller diameter (real) is 4.6mm.

I cobbled together a file (attached) that works but the tooth profile is not right.

Would you know how to edit it to generate the perfect profile?

A big thank you in advance,

Ben
Crown T8F_90T_acier_4mm_X1.SLDPRT (615.6 KB)

I did my research in // and I eventually have this file as an improvement, based on the video at the link below:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfeDy47PRKc

What do you think? Do you think this is the right way to draw a tooth profile for a chain drive ring?
Crown T8F_V2_90T.SLDPRT (629.9 KB)

1 Like

Hello;

Here is a tutorial on modeling straight gears;

Alternatively, depending on your Solidworks license level, you can take inspiration from the cogwheels included in Toolbox.

The difficulty remains to succeed in making a family of parts that is not too heavy and stable...

Kind regards.

1 Like

Thank you! I don't have the toolbox... Concerning the tutorial, it's interesting and the rules seem very similar to the ones I followed in the video of my example #2. Except that the hollow between 2 teeth is different to accommodate the roll of a chain link.

In any case, although this type of chain is very common, I'm surprised to see that tutorials to draw crowns are very rare!

Good evening

One avenue to explore: a "school" approach from the US to generate the teeth of a chain sprocket, by following this link: http://gearseds.com/sample_lessons.html.

To be discovered in the "Sprockets" section:

• A PDF file that describes how to generate a sketch of the tooth geometry. The flank of the tooth consists of two arcs tangent to an intermediate straight segment;
  • an Excel file that calculates the geometric parameters of this tooth from its pitch, the number of teeth of the pinion and the diameter of the rollers.

A method inspired by the American Chain Association...

Another (simpler?) vision from Autodesk Inventor where the tooth flank is a single arc.

Kind regards.

2 Likes

Hi everyone, for your information, it worked well. I share the result here:

1 Like

Thank you very much benjamin_co.
@+.
AR.