Managing linear guides in BOM

Hi all

I have a question about the management of multi-body components such as linear guides in nomenclature. I do a lot of kinematic simulation with the assemblies and so  I am obliged, for the case of a linear guide sold in a rail + skid kit , to install the rail body in one sub-assembly and the carriage(s) in another sub-assembly so that the movements can be made.

The problem is that the rail and the trolley(s) will have the same reference and I risk at some point ordering them in duplicate when I come out of the BOMs.

I'm curious to know how you manage to avoid this kind of problems? (FYI we don't have a PDM)

Thank you for your feedback.

A simple solution (but one that does not exclude the risk of error) is to exclude either the rail or the trolley from the nomenclature.
It's a convention to choose at the level of the BE to always do the same.

Another idea: don't enter the properties of one or the other, so, depending on the setting you use, it will either not appear or there will be a blank line.

2 Likes

As for the cylinder or linear guide, everything is designed in the same assembly and made flexible according to the needs (with the advantages and disadvantages of flexible assemblies)

And for the nomenclature, we exclude the parts constituting the assembly (e.g. the body of the cylinder and its rod)

2 Likes

@sbadenis: To avoid having to exclude the parts that make up the cylinder, you can play around in the configuration properties of the cylinder ASM using "hide" (see PJ)

option_config.jpg
2 Likes

Thank you for your feedback.

I'm not too used to making commercial parts, assemblies but I'm going to dig into the idea.

perhaps by making the elements that make up the assembly virtual.

Component virtualization will not change the nomenclature. The only point is to limit the number of files in the directory.
We will always have to play with the options.

1 Like