Rolled grid (perforated sheet)

Hi all

I have a part made of 1mm thick perforated sheet. A simple rectangle of sheet metal, which I want to "roll"

I manage to create the part in solid sheet metal, by extruding a profile of the type "piece of tube section)

On the other hand, it is then very complicated for me to come and hollow out my sheet metal with a pattern to make grid.

So I'd like to make my grid flat, and then roll it up.

Do you know if this is possible?

In PJ my full rolled sheet metal

tole_pleine.sldprt

and here is the pattern of the perforation of my sheet metal:

hexagons 2mm wide, spaced 0.5mm apart.

13371978-grille-r-sum-texture-de-fond-en-t-le-perfor-e-banque-dimages.jpg

And applying that texture to the rolled piece wouldn't it be enough?

1 Like

let's be crazy, I'm adding the file of my perforated sheet metal under SW

tole_perforee.sldprt
1 Like

I can only push towards the texture solution.

This kind of repetition burdens, usually unnecessarily, the model.

A solution: make the sheet solid, unfold it, apply the cut, fold it up.

perfo.sldprt
4 Likes

Hello

The solution is the inserted fold function, see attached doc.

May the force be with you

tole_roulee.docx
2 Likes

Hello

You have to convert the perf sheet metal into sheet metal and then make a sketched fold. I tested it and it works, it's just that I'm in 2015 otherwise I would have sent it to you.

Otherwise you can do it in transition fold (choose formed and not broken) then unfold your piece you create your sketch you extrude it and you fold your part and voila =)

PS: Which solidworks are you under? If you're in 2014 I can send you my piece if you want ^^

See this COM thread

http://www.lynkoa.com/forum/3d/nid-d-abeille

via the appearances the visual is striking reality

@+ ;-)

1 Like

Thank you all for your answers!!

I'm going to test all that! yes texture is much better, but in this case, it's a grille mounted in front of a headlight, and I wanted to test the rendering of transparency... so no texture possible.

but given the shabby performance of my laptop and the way this multitude of holes loads the model, it may get stuck...!

I'm coming back to you to tell you what worked best.

If it's just for a test, you can only do an angular sector instead of the entire part.

Given the perforation rate, there will be a big dimming of the lighting.

@ benjamin have you read the link to the previous post thread where the subject is identical

look at the reconstruction times I did some tests

With textures you can also have a superb transparency 

and which of + is if you have a weak PC

as said @ Stef  do a test 

but if your PC is not designed to via the graphics card you are there will not be great

or goes through a renderer other than SW 

@+

If it's too heavy with the repetition of the holes, you had to make a step of it then open it and then put it in sheet metal and insert a fold.
 The part will be less heavy.