Big loading problem

Hello

Since this morning, after a short week off, I've been diving back into Solidworks... I open the assembly I'm currently working on, as usual, I create a section, as usual (I'm working on a rather complex building), and there, the loading takes no less than 5 minutes... To end with a software bug... "Solidworks doesn't respond, tralalala".

Annoyed, because after the holidays, the delay in work arrives, I restart the pc, I try to open my assembly in all possible ways, lightened, management of large designs, complex assembly... Nothing helps. Basically, I spent my day trying unsuccessful experiments, wasting my time and raging about the software... Nice feedback;)

Has anyone ever had this problem? And if so, what was the reason for that? How did you solve the problem?

Do you have a solution to "see" what is blocking? Does a computer thrown from the second floor work better than before? ;)

Kind regards

Joss

1 Like

Hi Joss

A computer thrown out the window doesn't work any better but does a lot of good!!

I had this problem again last week on a slightly more modest assembly (about fifty parts) I reopened the assembly parts one by one and re-edited the last functions! I deduced that it was a hole in a sheet metal factory that prevented me from opening my entire assembly! To try despite your important number of pieces!!!

5 Likes

Hi @ Joss.G

YES as David Be3 says

Try to load your independent parts on your PC

and then open them and put the blocking bar

then tackle your sub-assemblies and , assemblies

FYI uses the blocking bar on each part and under assemblies and assemblies

See tutorial for dito block bar on the site

This blocking bar function will not avoid bugs

but only take into account the exterior visual of your rooms

so only load the mini so less PC resource

Now see also to help with the assembly

the problems of constraints minimize them as much as possible

if you have a big assembly avoid

All functions of flexible, flexible or mini max assemblies

remove all the screws that are useless, the futil details

take as said and say again an SSD and keep a copy of your work on your PC

if by bad luck a to play with in your absence

the simple fact of having constraints that run in a loop can irremediably cause your PC to bug

Here is the information I can give you for tonight hoping to have helped you to the best of my ability

in view of the news

@+...........

If you're in 2014 there's an update that may be running in the background 

In parallel there is the beta 2015 be careful not to make any mistakes 

And a small update of the graphics card drivers at any chance?

This time, gt22, it's not a problem of space because, exceptionally, I asked for a wider access because I can no longer work on this assembly, I was allowed to store the files on my pc and I was freed up space to work. I don't work on the network anymore since it bugs!!

No one but me knows how to use SW at my job, so no in sight;)
I don't have any screws or other parts that I don't use, I only have concrete slabs, concrete posts and metal frame, so nothing very heavy or complex.

Afterwards, the building that is bugging is an import, my client sent it to me from Autodesk Revit in .ifc format so I can't re-edit the functions and there are no bugs in his building (according to SW, at least...).
So, I have no constraints, I just opened the assembly and I fixed it directly to avoid false manipulations (when opening, there were no constraints, the assembly "floated").

I am currently trying to reimport my assembly and I am asking myself another question: When I converted my assembly, I checked the option that allows me to define my part and assembly model to the conversion and I chose custom models, can an option checked in my document options make my assembly lag??

PS: the assembly is fluid when I navigate in it, it's really when I apply a cut or a measurement that the software no longer follows...

Edit: ha yes, and my graphics card driver is up to date and I've tried several times by removing everything that runs in the background ... Nothing changes

I propose to give a week off to your PC (he must be jealous!)

3 Likes

@ Joss

And what did you convert your assembly into (SW sheath)?

it's your import revit that you have to convert

@+ ?

Sorry, I asked for Axemble support who took my pc in hand, the problem lasts a little too long :s

It's my Revit import that I have to convert, my client sends it to me in .ifc, usually, no problem but here...

Axemble tells me that it's not a graphics pb (I have the same graphics card that they use themselves) but an import format pb, the .ifc gives me too many unclosed, unresolved surfaces... Or even non-compliant faces. A UPN joist is found with about 60 faces that compose it...

I was advised to register all my sub-assemblies in parts, if it continues, register them in parasolid / IGES and reimport them and if at the end of the day I still can't do it, I will lead an assault on my client to ask him for other formats;p

I'm keeping my fingers crossed and I'll keep you informed of the developments;)

Thank you for your quick answers!!

Cdt

Joss

PS: my pc was quite lazy last week, no more leave for bibi before six months!! ;)

1 Like

Tadaaaaaa!

Those who know the problem will see right away what is wrong in the attached screenshot.

For the others, you should know that an edge visualized in blue in Solidworks means that there is a geometry bug in the part.

The screenshot represents a small part of my frame... Thank you customer!

Kind regards

Joss

bugbugbugbug.png

@Joss.G

Just a small clarification (and it's just a precision, but maybe you already know :) ), the blue edges (according to the basic SW color settings) indicate above all that they belong to a polygon body. And not necessarily a surface body with defects. It can be voluntary to have only surfaces!

But it's sure that in your case and on such a file all in surface it causes problems.

So I'm just saying this because sometimes it's interesting to work with surfaces. But in your case it is necessarily a constraint.

Attached is a printscreen showing a simple surface with its blue edges and without defects, for information.

screenshot408.jpg
3 Likes

Haaaaaa, thank you, I must have misunderstood something, I understand my bug better because cutting (with a cut) a body with a bug, it had never been a problem for me before.

On the other hand, if it's surface, I understand better why Solidworks gets constipated when I make a cut!

Thank you again for the clarification;)

Cdt

Joss

1 Like