Auto notching on bent parts

Hello

I can't get the automatic notches for 2-ply intersections.

When I check the "auto notching" box and choose one of the 3 possibilities, it doesn't change anything in my part.

It's probably a configuration problem, but I can't find where?

1 Like

Is the notching done or not at all?  is it the form of the notching that does not change?

you can take a screenshot and post it

@+

Use automatic notching

When you insert folds, the software automatically adds notch cuts to the necessary places if you select Automatic Notch. The SolidWorks software supports the following types of notching:

• Rectangular

• Tear

• Rounded

If you want to automatically add Rectangular or Round notches, you must specify the Notch Ratio.

Tear notches are the minimum size required to insert the bend and flatten the part. You can select Trim or Extend .

Notch ratio

The distance d represents the width of the Rectangular or Rounded notch cut and the depth at which the Rectangular or Rounded notch cut extends beyond the bend area. The distance d is determined by the following equation:

d = (notch ratio) * (thickness of the part)

The bend region is represented by the dark gray area in the diagram.

art\bnd_rgn_shg.gif

The value of the notching ratio should be between 0.05 and 2.0. The higher the value of the notching ratio, the larger the size of the notching cut, which is added automatically during the insertion of the folds, will be.

how do you do it?

via a volume /shell/insert folds

Direct sheet metal work

or unfold

@+

Thank you for these answers, but I was thinking of notching the corners of a folded part.

I found this in the help (see attachment), but it seemed to me that on previous versions (I use the 2012), it was checked directly in the fold function and not in additional manipulation on the unfolded part.

aide_solidworks.pdf

Hello

I don't understand exactly where your problem is.

It depends a lot on your design method.

For example, you start with a rectangular flat sheet and then you create two 90° folds in a corner, the notching will only be done if you "connect" these 2 plies using the Closed Corner function.

On the other hand, if you start from a volume that you convert to sheet metal, it is still different, ...

So could you tell us your design method.

@+

1 Like
Automatic notching does not apply to intersections of two plies.
It is used only on a single fold positioned on a part of the edge: not on the entire length of the edge.

For two plies, the sheet must be unfolded, then the notching (square/rectangle/round/etc) must be made and then the part folded.