Hatching on 3D surfaces

Hi all

My need is to differentiate  between surfaces with a hatching pattern (in black and white) on an isometric view of a drawing.

I have a solution that works, but very badly on some surfaces.  
Basically, I add hatching directly on the iso view of the drawing with the Insert>Annotations>Hatched Area/Fill function 

Here is the result obtained and expected :

Except that I have surfaces where it doesn't go as well... In general, this is when the face goes behind the hatched area, here is an example:

To make the surfaces wrong, I spend time redrawing the outline with the sketches. Very, very, very long...  But this is the only solution found to date...

So I'm looking for a quicker solution. My research axes :

- Directly add hatching in a 3D sketch in the .prt -> Not working
- Add a pattern (checkerboard type) in the appearance of the .prt ->  Doesn't work because I have to use a 'shaded view' display state in the drawing to make the pattern appear... The state is no longer wireframed, shadow is generated and therefore visibility is poor

If it were possible to create a pattern in the .prt and make the patterns visible in a "hidden lines removed" display state, that would be great..!

Oh yes, I'm on SolidWorks 2019.

Thank you in advance for your help

Kind regards

Nicholas

Hello Nicolas, 

This Tip is very interesting, 

4 Likes

Hello Lynk,

Thank you for your answer. Your Tip is super cool!

I tried to exploit it. According to my tests, the tip only works with decals. I struggled but managed to add a decal to multiple surfaces.

Here is the result on the 3D part :

Now it's time for the drawing, the tip works perfectly, here is the result  on the drawing:

Then when editing the pdf, I lose data and end up with a different rendering of the drawing.
I had to test the PDF editing settings to find a "correct" result. Here is the rendering with its associated parameters:

I apply it in my next drawings, and give you feedback on the results.

Kind regards
Nicholas

3 Likes