Is there a way to create a hole tangent to a groove?

Hello

Is it possible to create a hole tangent to a groove? I tried but it tells me that it's a non-zero geometry so it doesn't work.

I tried to make the groove or the drilling before or after but ditto. I also tried drilling or removing material but again the same.

If anyone has an idea.

Kind regards 

image_01.jpg

Hello

If you can, countersink to the bottom of the groove

you have to leave between the 2 a dimension 0.001mm

@+ ;-))

percage_tangent_0.001.sldprt
6 Likes

As gt22 said, there must be a clearance between the 2 material removal.

The 2 tangent operations give a thickness of matter of zero, and it's not good.

2 Likes
I will add that by default, the precision is 0.01 mm so a dimension of 0.001 will be "transparent" on the drawing, and will not affect the apparent values of the dimensions on the drawing.
2 Likes

As we do in the multi layer on the answer of @gt22 ;-) I would add that making this kind of geometry has every chance of making the hole open in the groove when obtaining the part (with the result 2 protruding edges). So you might as well shift it for good in one direction or the other!

Note that some software is not bothered by this kind of geometry, such as SolidDesigner (modeler).

4 Likes

Hello

You had to choose the right software  ;)

S.B

ps: It would still be nice to have little smileys available, to embellish the messages.

trou.jpg
4 Likes

@ SB

I don't want to advertise for SW far from it but still

but what is your skin thickness between the scratch and the hole

in theory if it's tangent it should be skinless at the tangent ;-)

a zoom and a quote at /1000 or + would be interesting ;-)

@+ ;-))

1 Like

BROKEN

@gt22, SolidDesigner that I mentioned above has become CREO Modeling. I guarantee you that he doesn't mind having zero thickness on a generator ! On the other hand, when you get these files via STEP or other in SW, it doesn't go as well: SW shows transparent faces because it can't calculate ! :/

2 Likes

Thank you all!

So that's what I thought, it's not possible.

It's not very nice to have put you in the best answer
I think I have given you the walkthrough to your question
which of + is it doesn't earn you any points
On the other hand, appointing someone else allows him to get points for gifts and motivates him to answer the questions asked
Have a nice day
@+ ;-))

1 Like

Attached is the step piece, just to test.

The Ø10 hole is made with the hole function, and the Ø8 with the cutting function.

S.B

slot-test.stp

that's what my SW 2012 tells me

Defective surface faces

and discontinuity by 4

There you go, you know everything

@+ ;-))

1 Like