Import in STEP format

Hello

We have some problems importing into solidworks 2012.

For example, an 11 MB step file can, once imported, be 17,000 KB on my workstation (. SLDASM)

This same step, once again imported, will only be a few KB on the colleague's station and 6,000 KB on another's.

The import options are identical on the 3 workstations.

Is it normal that the same file is of 3 different sizes on 3 substantially identical workstations?

In short, do you have an idea?

Thank you

Is the quality still the same?

When you say that the size of the file changes; Is it during the recording?

The export parameters must not be identical...

1 Like

It's a geared motor. in step.

The conversion takes place and then when saving the file as an assembly, the newly created file is of different size depending on the station. 

The quality seems the same.

The settings have been reset ("factory settings" on the 3 tabs "import step options") on 2 stations.

So identical parameters.

For this "small step", it's still acceptable.

However, on larger files e.g. a 100 MB step, I end up with a 1 GB assembly file, totally unusable.

It's not the import options that need to be adjusted.

But the export options.

If the export settings are the same on all machines, they will all export the same files.

The attached image is the window where the export parameters are populated.

It can be accessed by saving as, selecting the stl format and clicking on options.

export_stl.png
1 Like

I just realized that I was talking about the stl when you wanted the step, as much for me

So here is the window to adjust.

export_step.png
1 Like

Hello

Why talk about exporting Bart?

The problem is indeed with the import, I would rather look at the document templates used during the import, are you sure that the 3 machines use the same asm and prt template?

@+

3 Likes

I have a big penchant for the coyote answer because I encountered a problem with my parts files which, according to their basic configuration, changes the game in terms of imports.

Then there is also the fact of having or not done the function recognition (available in premium)

1 Like

I join @ coyote and @ Gérald 

I think the problem is the settings of the import as well as the SW version

Standard Pro and Premium Version

as well as the regal and control parameters of the imported file

@+-))

It can also come from the year SW was published, saving a file in 2012 will be more byte-intensive than in SW 2015.

A+

Fixed an issue by copying the path of the default templates to the location of the document templates files . And it is these "templates" that must be used so as not to weigh down the newly generated files. ("Default Templates" and "Always Use Default Document Templates"

Normally, we only use our own part templates, which seems to weigh down the files generated during the import considerably.

Now, the file size is acceptable, even if it differs very slightly on the 3 stations, it has nothing to do with it.

Coyote wins... ;)  

Thank you