Import point cloud in txt format into solidworks

Hello

I want to import a point cloud in the form of a txt file, and make a mesh of these points in solidworks.

I have the Scan-To-3D module, so the handling is, in theory, very simple: in a part file / Open / you look for the txt file and it's done.

A "Point Cloud" function does appear in the feature manager tree , but it is empty... No dots are displayed on the screen.

I specify that the display of points is active, that my txt file seems to be out of the question (see example in pj) and that no error message appears...

Anyone have a solution?

ndp.txt

Here is a found video that seems to summarize the principle well and shows an example of a working file (With X, Y and Z specified before the coordinates.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JU1umpEsWE

I had tried presenting the coordinates this way as well, but it doesn't work any better

Hello, I don't have a PB with your ndp.txt file.

On the other hand, to locate the points, I zoomed in as best I could and then just passed the mouse in the graph on the point cloud.

3 Likes

That's crazy! The dots just don't show up in my house...

You just want to import the points????

May the force be with you

The file in SW 2019 

points.sldprt

Yes, first @OBI WAN and then create a surface 

@franck.ceroux thank you for your file but still no visible point on the horizon...

try with that.

may the force be with you.

trace_des_points_sue_un_part__xyz_v3.xls

Thank you OBI WAN. I already have a file of this type, but the Scan To 3D module, which allows you to generate a mesh, doesn't read the xls...

And I would really like to generate a mesh, and then a surface automatically, with Scan To 3D.

can you share your file??

There he is 

Part1.SLDPRT

Did you know that in Display, Hidden/Show you activated everything?

The points you are asking for may appear as a coordinate system reference or in another category.

If it works at @franck.ceroux , it's because an option doesn't display them or prevents you from creating them.

No, the TXT file.

@sbadenis I was leaning towards this kind but I activated everything and still nothing. 

What's weird is that when importing the txt, the graphics window adjusts and the "point cloud" function is created, which leads me to think that the points are imported but not displayed.

Hello

Do you, as @franck.ceroux said, do you hover over the "Point Cloud1" function with the mouse in the feature manager?

Kind regards

@OBI WAN: it's in pj in my 1st message.

I am in contact with the hotline, which asks me to install SW 2021 SP2 and a new driver. I'll keep you posted

Fixed by installing SW2021 SP2 and updating the graphics card driver.

Thank you all for your help!

1 Like

@ all

For the best answer I would have gladly put the person from the Hot-Line but that's not possible  on the forum  ;-) ;-) ;-) 

Maybe an evolution of the forum to be expected     Finally what I say about it.........

Kind regards

2 Likes