Importing a large CREO set into SW

Hello

A customer sent us the file in PTC CREO 2.0 format from a machine to be modified. The study will have to be carried out under SW2013.

The problem: I tried to import it into SW2014 but SW crashed: "maximum number of files opened simultaneously reached".

Roughly speaking, the folder has about 2000 files.

Do you see a way to get around/change this limit?

If I manage to do a STEP export from CREO, will it use fewer resources?

Hello

Got Creo? Otherwise I can watch (Friday) to convert the whole thing to STEP from Creo.

2 Likes
Hello, I do think that the Step will use fewer resources. Otherwise you have to open all the subassemblies before opening the main assembly files.
3 Likes

To open an assembly in Large Design Management mode, click Open  (standard toolbar) or File > Open . In the dialog box, select the assembly you want to open, and then, in Mode, select Manage Large Designs. "

I don't know if it works with CREO files

Here is what I read via this link

http://fr.ptc.com/product/creo-elements-direct/interface-for-solidworks

Work faster, without interoperability limits

PTC Creo Elements/Direct (formerly known as CoCreate) enables you to immediately benefit from the proven performance of PTC's industry-leading design solutions today, while paving the way for dramatic productivity gains across your teams with PTC Creo.

PTC Creo Elements/Direct Interface for SolidWorks 3D CAD software improves the quality of converted design data with the industry's most powerful multi-CAD data exchange technology. When you convert data from PTC Creo Elements/Direct Modeling or PTC Creo Elements/Direct 3D Access, the quality of the native Parasolid SolidWorks format far exceeds that achieved with neutral 3D CAD data formats such as STEP or IGES. This interface supports bidirectional data exchange, which is a significant asset for companies that rely on multi-CAD design teams, both internal and external.

Features & Benefits

• Load and save native SolidWorks 3D design data directly from PTC Creo Elements/Direct Modeling or PTC Creo Elements/Direct 3D Access without the need for SolidWorks 3D design software
  • Reuse SolidWorks CAD design data immediately, without additional operations, as if it were native PTC Creo Elements/Direct Modeling data
  • Sharing high-quality 3D design data with any team member
  • Support for bidirectional data exchange at both part and assembly levels
  • Support for 3D geometry, topology, colors, part names, and attribute transfer
  • Ensure design integrity when using different accuracies and tolerances
  •  

A YouTube video Import Creo on Solidworks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H537w3jnCp4

@+ ;-)

1 Like

if the assembly is too large

as said @ Lucas

The files should already be converted........................ Parts/ Parts at first

SW 2013 import direct creo 2.0

It's a shame to go through WWTP

https://forum.solidworks.com/message/375424

@+ ;-)

Hello

2000 files is very far from being too big.

What opening options did you choose when you opened your ensemble?

I would be you, I would open the parts without trying to read the tree and I would not try to retrieve the assembly constraints either so "Body BREP" mode for the parts and not check import the constraints.

@+

1 Like

Thank you all for these first answers.

For now, I just tried with the basic options (didn't have time to go into it), I'll continue on Monday.

Brep import, that's what I took, the function recognition being too random given the volume to be processed.

@Tomalam
Thank you for the offer, I found a colleague who has it.

Your remarks confirm me in the conclusion I came to.

Since I'll be able to access Creo, I'll try:
1 - if possible, export from Creo in SW format. According to the GT22 link, I have a good chance.
2 - try to import subset by subset (which I could have identified, which is not the case today the 2k files are in bulk in a single directory, otherwise it wouldn't have been funny).
3 - finally export in STEP and import in SW.

Well, finally the export in SW format of Creo is a "pipe".

Unless I made a configuration that escaped me, Creo never offered me anything other than stp, neu and a 3rd one that I don't remember.

On the other hand, the import was done without problems in SW, which recognized that it was a big asm and therefore put all the components and S/E in the deleted state.