Importing a list of scanned points (.txt) into catia

Here is my first question:

How do I import a file containing a list of point coordinates in TXT format and get an STL file that can be used in CATIA?

I get this kind of txt file after running a scan with my CNC milling machine controlled by Mach 3.

It scans the volume of a gearbox going downhill on the Z axis, very basic as a system but it works and it's devilishly accurate.

Then I usually use a small conversion program that converts the TXT file to STL. The only problem is if the scan is incomplete or if there are missing points, it doesn't work!

The small program in question can be found here:

http://www.metabricoleur.com/t2083-numerisation-3d-avec-mach3

It was directed by the author: David (DH42).

The direct import under CATIA would be practical, sometimes it would save me from running a scan again for a small bug. it's capricious mach 3 sometimes...

It seems that it would be possible from an Excel spreadsheet, that someone would know how to do it?

A small example of the format in which the TXT file is presented:

0.00000,0.00001,-0.00316
0.50095,0.00001,-0.00316
0.99564,0.00001,-0.00628
1.49659,0.00001,-0.00316
1.99754,0.00001,-0.00316
2.49849,0.00001,-0.00628

The pitch is 0.5 by 0.5, that's a lot of points!

attached is a complete file that was accidentally interrupted.

I ran a full scan again, estimated duration 4 hours, it just crashed again at 2/3...

For this time I'm going to finish by scanning just 3 lines of dots to finally be able to draw my piece.

linguet_dessus.txt
2 Likes

Hi Mad Max.

A possible solution:

Create a sheet with your point cloud under three columns (X, Y, Z)

Save  the sheet in "txt with tabs" format

You will then have to encode it in ASCII format. You can then retrieve your Txt file in CATIA using the 'import' tool in the DSE (Design Shape Editor) workbench.

Once all your points have been imported into a geometric set, use the command "transform points into clouds" 

It's a long time but that's all I can see!

I hope it will be useful to you and .... Good luck;)

Cédric.

1 Like

Thank you for this quick response!

if I understand correctly I make an excel table with 3 columns x, y and z, I save it in ASCII format and I can import this file and get my scatter plot?

If that's it, it's top notch!

I had looked a little bit on how to do it once but I didn't think of going through an intermediate format like this.

I'll try it tomorrow and I'll tell you what it is.

Attached is a photo of the part during the scan.

scan_linguet_sur_cnc.jpg

Re;

In fact you will save in txt (text) format but to be able to import it on Catia V5, it will have to be ASCII (American Standard Code for Information Interchange) encoded.

ASCII (.asc) is an 8-bit CAD standard encoding for this type of application (point cloud).

It's a trick that I learned with a metrologist technician for the import/export of point clouds between the different CAD and Metrology software (even if it's less and less necessary because they take IGS, Step, stl... )

Cédric.

By the way, I found this as well:

http://www.sti-beziers.fr/tsipm/spip_tsipm/IMG/pdf/IMPORT_EXCEL_CATIA.pdf

Well, I'll test that tomorrow morning. 

Come on, good night to all;)

Cédric.

So hats off!

I just tested it and it works wonderfully.

Thank you very much.

I had seen the pdf but it seemed a bit heavy to me, I had tested it but not succeeded (I think I understood why).

so Cédric's method, fast and effective:

In Excel:

- Create an Excel table with 3 X, Y and Z columns

-In the first box, incorporate the data of the TXT SOSSIER. In my case, select comma as the separator.

- Save as TXT format with tab. The created file can be imported as an ASCII file.

Under CATIA:

-Open the Digitized Shape Editor workshop

-Open the Import window

- Select ASCII Free Format

-In the selection window, click on "All" to see the files and select the TXT file created from Excel.

Attached is a photo of the part and a screenshot of the 2 scans (the one with 3 curves was rematched because of its different origin) and the mesh obtained.

All I have to do is trace the references and build the piece.

scan_linguet.jpg
1 Like