Unable to re-open solidworks document

Hello

I made a not too complex assembly on solidworks 2017, then performed a motion analysis with springs, motors, etc... So far so good.

But after saving the document and closing the software, it is impossible to go back to it!

SolidWorks runs indefinitely in "assembly reconstruction" and does not give up.

PS: while the basic assembly was about 1MB, the same one after motion analysis weighs more than 30MB. Normal?

Hello

It happens to me from time to time and unfortunately I have never found a solution on the assemblies. Note that this never happens to me on individual parts but always on manual or automatic kinematics.

That's why I do a lot of sub-assemblies to avoid having to reassemble everything. When the file is corrupted, either I get an ante-1 or -2 version and I save with a higher index. Recoverable files work as long as you have set SW correctly to have the number of versions and a sufficient retention period.

I also do a pack-and-go once or twice a week with a specific version number. That way I can go back in an easier way than with a back-up where you never really know which version you're going to get.

In any case, I lose part of the work for a few hours or more.

That's why I have a box of "cursing curses" that allows me to pour out my anger and the most serious insults, Rodudiou!

Kind regards

Thank you for your answer which comforts and saddens me at the same time. So I'm not the only one in this case! Is it a solidworks bug? Isn't there a way to store the simulation calculation data in an external file to preserve the initial assembly, and not systematically lose all the adjustments made with meticulousness for long hours??

Hello

It's not a bug in the strict sense of the word, otherwise it would reproduce easily.

The simulation data is in an external file (well it's internal but it's a specific type of extension attached to the native) you can see it very well if you do a PAQ and GO because they are saved as such. 

However, these files are attached to the native file,  so if the native is corrupt and well rusk, you can't read your results without it. There is no result reader independent of the original file, which is understandable because it is not a post-simulation report for example.

I give you my experience and my tips to avoid this kind of inconvenience. It's not scientific and difficult to reproduce, but it works if we remain vigilant.

1°) Make frequent manual backups
2°) Properly set up the automatic saves as well as the number of versions (overwriting is done for example after 7 versions or more, it's up to you to set up).

2bis) space out the automatic backups well because I noticed that as the auto backup is relatively long or if you make a manual backup at the same time and boom! The risk of crashes increases.

Similarly, if you click quickly and the autosave occurs, the risk of crashing or something requiring at least a restart (without data loss) of SolidWorks increases

3°) The thing that kills. It should be noted that SolidWorks manages memory management very poorly. As a result, when you do kinematics, for example, and move your parts many times for fine-tuning reasons, then precursory symptoms of the future souk appear. This also does it with motion which is automatic kinematics The only solution to save everything, from time to time or as soon as symptoms appear (in general basic functions no longer work or badly) and ABOVE all to get out of SW and restart it several times in half a day.

I'm coming to stop being emm..... I have an automatic reminder that tells me to close and reopen SW all the time. Since I've been doing this thing - admittedly annoying - I don't lose any more files or simulation results.

I know it's painful but it allows you to keep your hair cover and not to despair of the future of humanity!

Kind regards

3 Likes

Hello

Do you have an automatic backup? If so, look in c==>time at least it seems to me. There are stored the temporary autosave files and autosave files in case of crash....

Hello @ac cobra

You have to go to ==>Options ==>Backup/Recovery ==> Backup folder.

There are different possibilities like separating the backup files from the working folders.

This looks like this, if the path was created by Solidworks
C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\TempFileBackupSW

Kind regards

Yes, backing up is essential, and it avoids losing elements or assemblies... But my initial problem is specifically with motion analysis, and even though I keep multiple backup copies of my assembly, I lose my motion analysis after each session because the file (which has been multiplied in size) no longer opens.

Each time you have to take back a saved version of the assembly, then reinstall all the motors, springs, contacts etc... for a new analysis that will be lost as soon as the program is closed. And this can be particularly tedious: imagine a clockwork or lock movement with small springs everywhere!

Hello

Have you ever tried to get in touch with your reseller to see if they have a solution or if a ticket is already open on the subject.

Hello @Poudreverte.

It's curious what you say because it seems to me that there is a solution that can be simple already with new tabs by copying the settings.

But on the other hand, this is what I propose to you, knowing that I don't know if it will suit you. (I use it for PEF simulation when editing parts in the ASM).

1°) Create a folder for each iteration, e.g. simul 1, simul2, etc...

1bis )Each time you have finished an iteration you save in a new folder and make a "copy open".

2° Every time you do a motion analysis then you do a pack and go the entire ASM and your motion analysis. If it is saved in a separate folder each time, it becomes completely waterproof compared to other versions, as well as waterproof from a motion analysis point of view.

Obviously this requires you to create a lot of folders: but this way, you don't lose the settings from one version to another.

However, a precaution if you modify the parts, close the previous versions well  and open well with the version made in pack and go in the new folder. Otherwise, the pieces modified since they have the same name will update if they are present on the screen (i.e. open).

I have another solution that is both simpler but potentially heavier to offer you if the one above does not suit you at all.

Kind regards

1 Like

Your Zozo_mp solution is about the simplest and most effective I have found, but far from perfect: copy and save my work at each step BEFORE starting the motion analysis, knowing that after calculations I will be able to save the images and videos obtained but that the assembly containing the results will no longer want to open and will therefore be put to the test. dustbin. 

Then all you have to do is open one of the saved copies to modify, and restart an analysis... A lot of files in the end and manipulations to get around the problem.