Embed a set of functions in the design library

Hello everyone, I hope you are well.

I'm having a problem that I can't seem to solve with my current knowledge, and I hope your advice can help me.

I'm working a lot on mechanical-welding projects right now and I have several parts to weld that I use on different designs.

For example, I have a gate with weld-on hinges, which are offset using a plate. This turntable is a standard part that we often use in our business. It has two main functions: the boss and the spokes. The solder hinges on this frame are only there to manage the footprint and include another boss based on the sketch on the frame. So that's 3 functions and two bodies welded together in the end, which I would like to be able to easily implement from one project to another.

Currently, I redraw these elements every time, which is tedious. I've tried using the " insert part " function, but I don't find this method very convenient. I was wondering if it was possible to use the design library (which I had never used before), but I couldn't get multiple functions into a single operation in the library.

Do you know if it's possible to include multiple functions in a single library operation, or do I have to create 3 separate functions and apply them one by one to each project?

I don't know if I managed to explain my problem well, but if this method is feasible, it would save me a lot of design time on many projects.

Thank you in advance and good evening to all!

Hello

It couldn't be simpler. To use the Design Library, simply define a folder to add to it in which the parts you use often are located.

1 Like

Hello IdeaCorda,
I tried to summarize my answer in this mini-tutorial:

Mini-tuto biblio

These are just screenshots, but hopefully they will serve to fully understand the process of creating a design library.
I also attached the models (open under SW 2024)
I can convert them to an older version, if needed.

There you go, hoping to have answered your problem.

ps; I could create a tutorial on this theme. I just need time ;o)

1 Like

Thank you for your answers and Expert_CAO thank you for your tutorial. Even if they are only screenshots, it's very clear and indeed a tutorial on this subject would be great!
Have a good day to you

1 Like

Hello;

There are some tutorials on the Altitech website
http://bib.altitech.free.fr/aide_altitech/aide_altitech.htm.
Although aging, the site and its downloads are still useful and current for Solidworks in StandAlone version (local installation).

I would add that the most important thing in creating library functions is to think about creating new reference planes (even if they are identical to the original Solidworks planes), this will avoid many positioning problems later on.

Other tutorials are available here (although in English for the most part):

https://www.goengineer.com/blog/create-design-library-features-in-solidworks

4 Likes

Re
I tried your explanations and it works very well. Quick question, do you know if it is possible to integrate sheet metal functions. Indeed, SW tells me that it can only handle "simple " functions. Do you have a method?
Good end of the morning

… It would be easier to guide you with a screenshot of your room...

So, No, the Library functions do not manage the sheet metal functions (folding/mortises...).

Does the component, the plate, that you use for your hinges, have manageable values in "Part Family" / "Configurations"?

Otherwise it may be possible to manage them with notions of " dimension between two limit values (or a Step) ", in which case the " Configuration Publisher " and possibly a solution...
https://help.solidworks.com/2021/french/solidworks/sldworks/c_configuration_publisher_top.htm

Hello again,

@Maclane is right, yes, the creation of a part family associated with the Configuration Publisher can be an alternative but as we are in the context of a Part and not an Assembly. the configuration (Platen variant) will have to be inserted inside the final part and then use constraints as for assemblies, in order to position it.
[https://help.solidworks.com/2022/french/SolidWorks/Sldworks/t_Move_Copy_Bodies_features.htm?verRedirect=1]

Otherwise, I don't see any other solution.

PS: I posted a tutorial on how to set up a part and then generate configurations, if it can be useful...