Inaccuracy, precision, respect for form

Hello

I'm currently working on a project where I'm working on complex shapes set to sizes for the largest in size size is 1mm.

I work under SW2012 SP5 in Win7 64bits.

The problem is that at times, the shapes drawn are not respected...

I create 2 volumes, these are represented as I want but when I want to combine or subtract them, my shapes change or it is impossible for me to do the function...

Elements made in a symmetrical sketch but used in a function, are no longer symmetrical.

I also notice having trouble just to select an edge or a rib, lack of precision.

Do you have a lead or a solution?

I feel like I'm within the limits of the scale, I have to zoom in too much compared to what SolidWorks expects. Possible or not?

Not suitable for complex shapes in micro-machining... Or only in surface area?

My shapes are only volumes because I have to make cuts.

You will tell me, why not work with a higher scale?

Because I would have to scale all my data as well, which is integrated into other projects with sizes that are more visible to the human eye.

And I should do a full-scale 3D print in the end.

I find it ridiculous to scale to be able to work and return to the right scale for the realization when we are working with digital and zooms.

Yours truly,

PS: I'm already in MMGS

S4KUj0

Hi @s4kuj0

a small precision which PC and what is your graphics card

As for symmetries, never forget to enter constraints and dimensions

if you have trouble selecting stopped and company your card is not open GL so not SW certified

@+ ;-)

Hello

You simply have to modify the solidworks options which makes representations too "coarse" for micro-mechanics but too precise for ros assemblies.

So you have to find the right compromise.

See attached image and in your acs go towards the red zone.

@+

capture.jpg
8 Likes

as Coyote says

Of course, optimize the definition of the strokes by the maximum possible and permissible resolution

@+ ;-)

1 Like

@Coyote

Thank you for the option, I had forgotten its existence and its usefulness.

I'll test tomorrow and give feedback.

@gt22

Yes I put the dimensions and even if I don't dimension, if I do the symmetry function in sketch and I extrude, I must have a symmetrical part, with or without dimension.

I don't do Acad in SW but it doesn't make any difference in my case.

Config

Fujitsu celsuis r570-2

Xeon X5667

12gb DDR3 (forgot the frequency)

Nviadia Quadro4000 4GB

Adapted graphics drivers provided by Dassault Systèmes.

I've been a SW user for + 5 years, I've found how to get what I want but I'm wondering about the limits of the software and if other people have had the same problems.

For symmetries:

It is better to make  a part symmetry rather than a sketch symmetry

for your configue nothing to say about it you have the tool you need to work properly with SW

@+ ;-)

1 Like

The problem with your shapes is graphic or not? Basically, if you take a rating without basing yourself on the visual, is it correct.

For the selection I think that increasing the graphic quality should be enough to correct the problem (so modification of the cursor in the document options)

I know that a lot of watchmakers use Solidworks, so it seems unlikely to me that Solidworks is not able to make very small parts.

1 Like

@gt22

You're right, in general, I do as you say.

Sometimes, for the dimensioning, it's easier to do it in sketch.

Yes I'm lazy and putting a rating by writing /2 makes me c**** :-)

Especially in the event that this rating is changed in the future in relation to the criteria.

@fthomas

Dsl, I didn't make any measurements and the measurement doesn't put us in this project, it's only aesthetic.

When the case arises, I won't fail to do it but often it does: argh how to do it?!?! And I'm looking for... Laughing out loud

I had the same information as you about SW and watchmaking, that's why I asked the question and was surprised by my problems.

I set mtn my stitch definition and I make an end of day status :-)

Without going into too much detail and to give you an idea of the project with the shapes drawn, do you see what a through-hole component in electronics is?

Yes? I am in the process of modeling welding defects.

let us see what it gives your digitization 

for the odds don't forget that SW is a configurable log

If in your sketch you have a spline and it's not dimensioned correctly and you ask it for symmetry I'm not convinced that it works well every time especially if you make the slightest movement of + if you dimension the first one and you make a symmetry without adding sides your symmetry will be free

@+ ;-)

1 Like

Hello

In desperation, why don't you work on a scale of ten?

This would give you more "visual" precision and then a scale ratio at the end and it's over!

Good luck

Yann

echelle.jpg
Hello So the problem is not permanent? Does it happen sometimes and sometimes it works? I think that giving us a file to test can be quite good, if there are no privacy concerns.
And if it's only aesthetic and the dimensions are not important, what prevents you from using the 10 scale function on all your parts all the time? It's a function that is added to the bottom of your building tree and is easy to remove (either by removing the function or moving up the tree).

I don't think like you.

The dimensions are only element control, if you do a symmetry on an undimensioned spline and modify it afterwards, it must follow.

I don't see why putting dimensions would make the symmetry follow or not. These calculations must not interact with each other.

I say that but my sketches are always black ;-)

I didn't want to use the scale because I find it ridiculous to have to make a scale to be able to zoom in and work properly.

SW being well accomplished on some points, there must have been a solution that I no longer thought of.

It was to regulate the definition as said in the first answers.

On the other hand for the random problem, I can't send a file, it's pro...

I'm hopeful about a relationship with the point definition, I haven't reproduced the problem yet.

Graphical bug, calculation or other, I don't know...

Mtn that he is allowed to give more details, the rest follows better.

Slower to calculate but more realistic.

We have to find the right compromise.

Here I am again!

Inaccuracy of the forms but without symmetry. It must not be symmetry that is the problem.

I did a straight extrusion and I get this...

If I select by clicking, I get the (unwanted) shape visible on the screen.

If I hover the mouse over it without selection (orange line on the printscreen) I see the desired shape.

Unable to measure the oblique edge (which should be straight)

Anyone have an explanation? Or a solution?

capture.jpg

I have the same version of solid as you if you can put your file online I want to take a look

if your extrusion is straight and it's the orange lines a there is a blem

or post the sketch that allows you this said extrusion

avoid any leave that can disrupt the proper functioning of SW does the leave at the last step if possible

@+ ;-)

Hello

If I understood your problem correctly, the curve that we see selected in your image should be a straight line. That's right?

@+

1 Like

Re

Do you work with a single volume body or several?

@+

1 Like

@gt22

The holidays you see come from a symmetry.

I had worked on part of the piece, this area was completely finished and I made a symmetry to continue on this basis.

If they are not useful, I use the same method => At the end

Be careful with the injection, if you put them at the end, you can double your leave by calculating them in relation to the thickness.

If you place them at the right time, you divide the work by 3.

It is a removal of material by extrusion that must be straight.

I can't send the files... As soon as a workstation becomes available, I try at a colleague's house without conviction.

@Coyote

At this stage, I have only one body on the modifications.

Ok I see where you're going but this area warns of a symmetry.

Originally, I had worked several bodies with this method without any problem and then I combined.

ok so for summary without selecting an element there are no display problems or other, but when you select the face/function the highlighted edges are not positioned in the right place, right?

Have you used the "check" tool to see what are the maximum deviations and/or faces in error?

1 Like

(Be careful with the injection, if you put them at the end, you can double your leaves by calculating them in relation to the thickness.

If you place them at the right time, you divide the work by 3.) ?

• Sorry I don't understand your sentence
    • make a screenshot of your extrud matte sketch.30
    • your leave 83 by peanut
    • by visualizing your Extru.30 the orange lines (forms several contours of which part is out of volume)
    • waiting for file

• @+ ;-)

•