Inserting text on a non-flat surface

Hello

I managed to create my 10 die (thanks to Yves T.) and I now want to place the numerical values on each face.

The problem is that I can't understand the Text function (even though it's simple...), because when I try to sketch on my face, it's in 3D because it's not flat. 

I also tried to project a plane parallel to this face, sketch and then re-project but the sketch remains in 3D, which has the reason to place my text anywhere in the room.

Hoping to get a solution... Thank you in advance.

Hello

Click on the face and create a sketch, and then you can put your text in there.

if your faces are not flat it's not a big deal

take either a line if straight and 1  opposite point or 3 points

and creates a plan

this plan you decal

you create a sketch on a plane and projected sketch on the face

same for all sides

@+

See also this link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkQWkYGfRRU

2 Likes

I analyzed the video and tried your methods but no way, the desired figure continues to be displayed in any way

Is it possible to have a screenshot?

For the text you already need to draw a line and an anchor point

then it is enough if the face is not flat to make a remote sketch

write the text on this sketch 

After tool curves projected sketch face

It's quite simple though

See these tutorials

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkQWkYGfRRU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecUBLtb6VJk&t=2532s

with that if it doesn't work you have to change the tool that's on the chair ;-)

can't say + ;-)

@+ ;-)

2 Likes

You can't sketch because faces aren't flat when passing through filled surfaces.

As GT22 told you, create a plan by selecting 3 points on a face and sketch on it.

Once it's done, do an extrusion but in both directions.

Alternative solution:

Redraw your die using another method that will give you flat faces:

I modified the tutorial by adding a second method. You will also find it in attachments.

tutoriel_de_a_10_faces.pdf
1 Like

The problem is indeed between the chair and the desk, I just don't understand how the Text function works. And yet it looks simple, I agree.

Thanks for the help...

de10.sldprt

Can you post your piece with the sketch of the text you want?

1 Like

Create a new sketch

Add a support line (construction line, line, arc,...)

Add the text, set the font to get the result you want

Extrude either by addition or removal. If the surface is not flat and the sketch plane intersects the surface, extrude in two directions.

Is it very simple:)

PS: To be more precise, it is also possible to extrude from the surface (this happens in the options of the extrusion function)

2 Likes

Thank you all for your help, I finally got there.

I finally understood how the Text function worked... ^^, but the projection prevented me from extruding behind it, so I preferred to create a new piece thanks to Yves' second method, and to make my texts directly on the front. The piece is finished, still to be printed, thank you again!