Inserting a Part Body Positioned Relative to a Coordinate System

Hello 

I'd like to copy/paste a part body that I created in a part1 in a part2 but to be positioned in relation to a very specific coordinate system in part2.

My concern at the moment is that the gluing of the part body always arrives in the base coordinate system of part 2 and not a second coordinate system that I created for the positioning of this part body.

Is it possible to glue a part body in a specific marker on the one hand?

And, if so, please tell me the method.

1 Like
Hello, if it's SolidWorks, you can use the move function which allows you to position one part in another. W then write move.

Edit: for Catia, see here

https://youtu.be/HZDTlUiRVtk

1 Like

Hello

Yes, it's possible, the most user-friendly is to use an optimized copy.

The method

In Part 1:

Creating the marker (for my part I choose "Euler" it will allow me to test the robustness of my copy before importing it into part - 2.

Construct the elements of the body using as a support, reference only the reference point.

When creating (use only positioned sketches) See tutorial here .

The copy is created in Part-1 by Insertions / Smart Templates / Optimized Copy.

To instantiate it, we place it in partt-2 and then by Insertions / smart models / Instantiate from the selection.

You can also store the copy in a CATIA catalog.

I'll see if I can find one of my videos on this subject

@+

2 Likes

Not found so I did the one the vitte does

powercopie.mp4
1 Like

Hello

Great, thanks for your help.

It seems to meet my need. I will experiment and if not specify my need.

On the other hand, is it normal that I have no sound with the video?

I'm trying to play mp4 with VLC.

Thank you in advance for your feedback.

P.S: my question is of course the realization in CATIA

Good evening yes no microphone or HP or webcam on my workstation.

When I have time I insert text bubbles or images on the video but here I did it quickly.

For the power copy method, it's the most basic because you have to put the reconstruction point in position and then the coordinate system.

A derived version of the method consists, instead of building with respect to a coordinate system, to construct with respect to simple elements: point, straight plane (the ideal no more than 3 elements after that it becomes complex to instantiate)

Example for a marking or logo:

a point to locate in XYZ

a plan to support the sketch.

A straight line to orient the reading direction.

To instantiate in another room, you just have to create a point on the surface where you want to put the marking, a plane normal to the surface (a coordinate system does the trick), you can use one of these X or Y axis directions (Z being the normal direction to the surface).

That way, when you put down the optimized copy, it rebuilds directly in the right position

1 Like

Hello

Thank you for your help.

I read your answer carefully and watched the video. But I don't know yet if it can meet my needs.

Also, here are more details about my need. I start from two parts:
- a part (called here a connecting rod) which is wired and which contains two marks: crank mark and piston marker.
- a part (called a cylinder shoulder) which contains the volumes I want to copy into my part1.

For the moment, when I have my part body copied from the shoulder cylinder part, then paste in the connecting rod part, the copied part body arrives in the crank mark (which is also the same as the base part marker on my connecting rod part) but I can't stick it in another mark on the connecting rod part, namely the one I called "piston marker"".

In other words, I can't glue a part body into a coordinate system other than the basic one in a part.

In copy, I enclose a pdf that illustrates my concern and that should clarify my words.

[url=http://zupimages.net/viewer.php?id=15/38/zfgl.gif] [img]http://zupimages.net/up/15/38/zfgl.gif[/img][/url]

Thank you for your help.

pbcatia.pdf

Hello.

When copying/pasting a Part Body from Part-1 to Part-2 CATIA reconstructed against the Part-1 references (parents)

If this goes well , it is because CATIA finds in Part-2 the same references (parents).

As a result, everything is rebuilt in the same position as in Part-1.

In PowerCopies, we don't snap some references (parents), these are the entries that we select in order to reconstruct the geometry in a different location from the original "Part-1".

Optimized copy is a quick solution to recreate a form independent of the original (no link).

Another solution would be to create an assembly: 

• Connecting rod is the first "fixed" part.
  • Shoulder cylinder is positioned by constraint "Shoulder cylinder"  mark (to be created), on "Piston" marker.

Then Copy/Paste (with link) the body of parts "Cylinder shoulder" into the part "Connecting rod"

(This method requires modifying the "Shoulder Cylinder" part to modify the imported body in the connecting rod. (it's a result with a link, there is no graph in the body paste in the connecting rod part).

If you don't want to create an assembly, you can Copy/paste the body (with a link directly between parts) and then right-click on the body, resulting in "solid object / adding a position", you use after the transformation Change of coordinate system.

1 Like

Super. Thank you.

By re-watching your second video, I managed to use optimized copies (or powercopies). It works very well indeed and it meets exactly my need, namely to copy in a part parts bodies at a precise position/ and orientation.

I also used guides in my parts 1 and 2 and I use these guides to be parents (or inputs) for the use of the optimized copy in part 2 (via Instantiate from the selection. However, in terms of the method, I didn't exactly do as you did on two points.

1) I didn't understand too well in your video the interest of the point you use. Can you tell me a little more so that I understand its interest? It seems to me that I didn't need it.

2) Another thing, you also taught me about the existence of positioned sketches. In my manipulation, I used it with the following parameters:  Sketch Positioning --> Sliding Type and didn't touch the other options.
Obviously, you used it with other options.

Can you specify the interest of the positioned sketches? It seems to me that this is a powerful tool but, for the moment, I have only used this tool to change the references (or entries) of my sketch.

Could you tell me or tell me where I can find information about the settings of the options of the positioned sketches? 

Thank you very much for your help.

Hello 
1 ) When you use the "insert / axis system" command, the first data to select is the origin (in your case, the end of the right), so you don't need to create anything else.
2 ) The interest is to associate the content of the sketch with external  references without having to constrain or rate this same content in relation to these same external references (which can generate a large number of parent/child links). This is only the support (3 links max).
The content of the sketch will then be constrained or dimensioned only in relation to these internal elements and to the origin and H and V axes of the sketch.

In the video, the circle will follow one of the vertices of the chamfer during geometry changes, without even having to dimension or constrain it. (which will have to be done later because it is preferable to iso-constrain these sketches using the good practice described above)

There is no setting of options, there are drop-down lists like those found for the creation of points, planes, lines, etc

esquisses.zip
1 Like

Super. Thank you for your very clear answer as well as the explanatory video.

Indeed, these are not options but drop-down lists.

In fact, I wanted to have more precision on the choices: "slippery" and "isolated" for the positioning of the sketch.

Do you have any information on this subject? Knowing that, in my case, I used Glissante but without really understanding how it works.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Positioned:

We ctrl the support, the origin and the orientation of one of the axes (the sketch coordinate will follow the modifications of the refs)

Slippery

Only the support is ctrled (this is the same as using the default sketch icon).

Isolated:

Nothing is under ctrl if the geometry evolves, there is a risk that the sketch will end up inside the material if, for example, the sketch is used for an extrusion (Length option)

The geometry could be independent or totally included.