I can't move a sketch from one shot to another

CAD Problem Sketch

You can either right-click in the tree on the sketch and then choose the corresponding icon to change the sketch plane. Or copy the entire sketch by selecting everything with the mouse, then CTRL c and CTRL v on another plane.
6 Likes

Hello

Have you tried copy/paste.

"Ctrl+C" on your sketch in the creation abbre, then select the destination plane and do "Ctrl+V".

Kind regards

Oops: duplicate with .PL (screen refresh pb!)

3 Likes

See this help topic to complete my answer:

Edit the sketch plan

Changes the sketch plan.

To edit the outline of a sketch:

1. Select the sketch from the FeatureManager design tree and click EditSketch Plan.

-or-

Right-click the sketch in the FeatureManager design tree and select Edit Sketch Plan.

2. Select a new plane in the FeatureManager design tree, or select a new flat face in the template for Sketch Plan/Face .

3.  Click OK .

http://www.lynkoa.com/forum/3d/je-n-arrive-pas-deplacer-une-esquisse-d-un-plan-un-autre

2 Likes

Re

You also have the "derived sketch" function.

- Select your sketch from the tree AND a plane or planar face.

- Go to "Insertion", "Derivative Sketch".

Your sketch will be duplicated on the new plane or face. It will be bound (dimensions) to the source sketch, but you can position it by dimensions.

By right-clicking on your sketch created in this way, you can "Undo Branch" to make it free again.

Kind regards

esquisse_derivee.png
3 Likes

See this tutorial for derivative sketches

http://www.lynkoa.com/tutos/3d/les-esquisses-derivees-avec-solidworks

@+ ;-))

1 Like

If you go to the solidworks bar at the very top by clicking on solidworks you have tabs including one that gives you x function among other things copy

So you can copy your sketch and then you select the plane or face you want and you do the same thing again with the paste tool

This is often the way I proceed since sometimes the log says I don't know how to do it but via this way even if the said it does it anyway

at least with my version of SW which is a 2012 Premium version

@+;-))

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR ANSWERS

1 Like

@ vuillaumier

It would be advisable to credit  the answer that solved your problem 

Have a good day

@+ ;-))

1 Like

Hi all

In addition to this post I have a small question to which I still have not found an answer for several years (this question only concerns the edition of the sketch plan in sheet metal parts)

Indeed, when you want to move the sketch of a "Folded Base Sheet" (and in general I think that the problem persists for all sketches on which at least one sheet metal feature depends), it works very well if you want to move the sketch to a plane that already existed before the creation of the sheet metal function. But if we have already created our sheet metal function and then we want to move the sketch to a new plane added by making a forward resumption, SolidWorks does not want to because when editing the sketch plane the new plane is grayed out, Whereas apart from the sketch edition, this new plan is quite usable.

For example: in my case (see PJ) it is a question of transferring the sketch of the function "Bent1 base plate" from the "Right" plane to the "Plan1" plane (the latter was created in forward rework)

Obviously when you want to move a sketch rather than create a new one (whether by copy-paste, derivative sketch, or by other means...)  It's that we don't want to blow up all the functions that result from it, so the problem deserves to be solved.

What solutions would you have to solve this problem?

Many thanks to you

nouveau_plan_plan1_imposible_a_utiliser.png

Hello Guillaume

Be careful , you always have to create the plan before a function , which is a sketch here. In this case, you just have to create the plan and put it at the top of the creation tree or at least above the function that needs this plane.

How to do it???

- You take the bar at the very bottom of your creation tree, you pull it upwards just above your very first function.

- You create your plan in relation to the three basic plans of the room.

- You bring your bar all the way down.

- From then on, all the functions you will set on this new plan will be correct: and this in any place.

In my example I suggested a new plan at the top, but you can put it wherever you want as long as it's on top of the function that will hang on it

Kind regards

1 Like

Hello Zozo,

If I'm not mistaken, you're talking about doing a forward recovery (take the bottom bar and bring it up to create a new plane) Well that's exactly what I did and it doesn't work for sheet metal parts, hence the interest of my post.

Hi all

I'm going back to this thread on  derived sketches because I'm having the following problem with this function (in SW17 Premium): when I create my derived sketch (so far so good), it fits well in the chosen plane. On the other hand, I can't position it as I want because I can't select the origin of the said derivative sketch and position it as I want (and as shown in the GT22 tutorial).

I do have the origin of the derived sketch (in red) but not possible to select it to position it on a line/point of my new sketch plane.

I even restored the SW settings to default but it doesn't change anything ;-(

Any idea? 

Thank you in advance for your help.

CDLT, Jeff BAILLOT

Have you checked the constraints of your derivative sketch?

1 Like