The 3 d, what program?

Hello, I use a small 2d drawing program "Profirst", I am a metalworker and I would like to switch to  3d, which program advise me please thank you

Hello

It mostly depends on what YOU are looking for.

What do you need in 3D that you don't have in 2D? What is the goal? (visualization, CAM, 2d generation via 3d, etc...).

I join @Jose-accessa,

The tool is chosen according to the work you want to do;

That said, it is interesting to ask this question in a community like this since here everyone can answer you according to their personal work tool; A lot of feedback is expected for this question, at least I hope so for you...

To elaborate a little on the different existing software, here are the ones I know:

-AutoCAD: having developed in 3D for a few years, it has been established in some design offices today; but it remains the ultra-powerful software of 2D, it was originally created for that; Application Area: Landscape; locksmithing; mechanical (but very little).

-TopSolid: Missler-Software's small software is a 3D tool designed for 3D; It is not very present in a market snatched up by large software (CATIA, SolidWorks), but it is widely used for programming machine tools (creation of machining operations on a PC and then transfer of the program to the machine that executes it).

-CATIA: the must-have; it is the largest name in software that exists in the world, created by Dassault Systèmes. It is used all over the world and its many licenses allow a host of applications: CAD creation, CAM, simulations, etc. It's also the most expensive and I don't think you need a tool of this size.

-SolidWorks: the alternative; also created by Dassault, it is a widely used 3D design software; it is the one I use in my design office; it allows you to make parts and assemblies of parts in 3D volume and sheet metal, to carry out very high-end drawings and renderings. In its complete version, it has a library of standardised mechanical components, ideal for assembly.

That's it, to enlighten you a little.

But so that we can answer you well, really specify what you are looking to create with a 3D software; This is how we will best guide you.

++

2 Likes

The overarching question is that of Jose-accessa:

What do you need in 3D that you don't have in 2D?

You need to be clear about what you want from the product and what you want to do with it.

Once this is defined, the best thing to do is to contact the resellers so that they can show you the capabilities of the software first-hand.

Pay attention to typical examples that work in demos but crash when you try to adapt them to our products.

You should also look at the exchange with your suppliers or subcontractors to facilitate exchanges (some software dialogues better together than others)

There are 2 types of products:

the heavy ones such as Catia and Creo (former Pro-engeneer) and the lighter (and cheaper) ones like Solidworks, Solidedge or Topsolid.

The list is not exhaustive, so here is a link where they are almost all listed:

http://www.cadcamfunda.com/cadcam_softwares

@Riky:

Autocad 2D is as efficient in mechanics as it is in other areas. To exaggerate, I would call it a digital drawing table. It is therefore able to adapt to all areas.

Autocad 3D: I don't know, I've never used it.

Solidworks was not created by Dassault but acquired, hence the difference in modeler and philosophy.

@pascal

As far as I was concerned, I didn't know that it was a takeover by DS!

Thank you, I started to discover Solidworks which in my opinion must be one of the best, my question and: is there the same in a little more lite, I would say easier to use. I am the manager of a small company and I don't have much time. I am looking for a 3D model for my clients, and then the 2 d drawings for the manufacture, to be able to work on a single plan and find the modifications on all the 2 d plans.

Hello

Having tried autocad 3D and other  free ones, google sketch, inventor etc (on mac) I have not managed to find a more intuitive software than solidworks. (I'm self-taught)

If you know how to make a 2D sketch, it's very fast to make a simple part in 3D.

Of course, if you start playing with screws, parts that fit together, etc... There a training is necessary, or a friend who shows the little tricks for the constraints.  

A little extra to know is that you can take 2D plans and extrude them easily to obtain a volume.

I think the best for you for the moment is to continue with your ProFirst log

Solidworks is about 10,000 € base

The complete workstation that goes well with it is about 2500 € at least

so it's a choice to make for a small company 

but it's true that if you master the tool you can do very nice things with it

and to ask the community to redo everything on SW

There are quite a few self-employed or self-employed people

who will agree to make you these 3D models for a modest price

Of course, depending on the complexity of the project

with full flow, weight, strength, and with the look you need 

well that's just my point of view

@+ ;)

2 Likes

otherwise, there are also on http://www.alibre.fr/adcompare.php

It's a software that has more or less the same interface as Solidworks but cheaper

I guess you mainly do portal. (that's good, I have my portal to do !!!).

SolidWorks is one of the 3D CAD tools that is a perfect fit:

You will need:

- Mastering mechanical welding

- create a base for a mechanical welding profile,

- know the basics of tolerance,

- a little drawing (to show the list of speeds),

- be able to make simple assemblies and export them in eDrawing to show your customers,

SolidWorks is known to be quite easy to use, despite everything there is no mystery, you have to take time and stick hours behind the screen to end up being efficient ("Without mastery power is nothing" according to PIRELLI).

To save a little time, the best is a training course (5 days minimum) done by a pro (Axemble not to name them, it 's "the" right choice !!). To refine your training you are in the right place, here on LYNKOA, we will help you (In this community, there are a good number of "pros" under SolidWorks).

If you're not convinced, send a pdf of one of your drawings (not too complex !!) under "Profirst", we'll model it for you and make you an Edrawing so that you can view it.

If I understand correctly, 3D will only serve as a visual for customers.

You can look at the MEDUSA software .

For the little I have tested it is a 2D with a 3D apprerçu

Solidworks is one of the most intuitive software on the market, but it still requires a period of familiarization.

Having done a 5 + 3 day training at axemble, I didn't learn much more than by doing the tutorials integrated into the software.

The price of the station indicated by GT22 is really the minimum, don't hesitate to inflate the configuration of the station a little so that it can hold up until its renewal (designs from + to + large or complex, new versions of the software more greedy, "aging" of the computer) 

You will need to think about good management of your files.

Indeed, in 3D, you have to manage twice as many files (the 3D + the plan) and these files can be imposing.

If my starting hypothesis is correct, I am of the opinion of GT22, you can try to find a service provider near you (or a little further away) to subcontract the visual while continuing with your equipment for manufacturing.

One last detail:

Most of the people on this site are Solidworks users and the site is linked to the Axemble reseller, so it makes sense that the answers are directed to this software.

3 Likes

It's a 2-way street.

You obviously need a software that allows the visualization but also the generation of 2d plans from a 3d (at the same time, why invest if you don't have at least that).

Solidworks, ok... except that as @gt22 says, it's very expensive...

So we are refocusing on 3D modeling and not CAD.

So why not just take Sketchup?

It is free, models very well, very easy to access, etc...

So of course we have to get 2D plans in plaus... but it's just like any PAID modeling software.

I'd take Sketchup in the meantime, while keeping my 2d software for the workshop.

It avoids throwing 10,000 € euros at the very least (without pc or training) in something that you are not sure to make profitable.

Design should not be confused with modelling.

Hello

I don't think I've seen anything about Spaceclaim which is a modeling software without a construction tree and is quite easy to use. 

It is a 3d modeler with drawing and assembly at around 4000€. In addition, it takes from the native of a lot of soft.

I attach a presentation link

http://www.spaceclaim.com/fr/Mkting/SingleVideoPlayer.aspx?v=Top10ListeFR_1.mp4

Rom's

1 Like

I could not say anything more important than the answers listed.

I recommend SOLIDWORKS, it is very user-friendly and very efficient.

Hello mdpr74

Since you work in metalwork, I would advise you to download this SolidWorks product sheet dedicated to the locksmith and metalwork trades

http://www.axemble.com/serrurerie

You will see examples of achievements, references, etc.

Best regards

Yves

I agree with Pascal, it's quite Solidworks-Axemble-oriented... Brief.

What you might want to do is get in touch with some of your fellow metalworkers, and see what they're using.

There is also an important point, which is to know if you want to go for parametrics: that is to say at any time modify any function, any dimension, re-organize them, etc... If so, it's SolidWorks, Pro-engineer, NX, etc... Heavy in short, and expensive!!!!!

Be careful, when I see false things written, such as the price of software, find out... Creo or inventor more expensive than Solidworks... Give real objective information. Creo or Inventor or Solidworks, it's 6,000€, not 20,000...Catia is more expensive, for the rest it's all between 5,000 and 7,000 €.

Otherwise, there are simpler software in direct modeling, and often cheaper such as Creo-direct, space claim, or even free freecad type.

Be careful, the jump can be quite high, and with a single license, few dealers will help you... Or with 5 days of training at 800 € per day...

Some are right, Sketchup is a good basis for evaluating 3D.

I see N°74, are you from Haute Savoie?

Hello everyone, thank you for your answers, I had started a solidworks training, but at the end of it I had a computer failure and I stayed some time without using solid. And one thing and another I lost the basics. I agree with you that this is what I need. Anyone have patience and courage to spare? That's all I need, thank you again and see you soon for my technical questions.

PS for "cooperS" yes I'm from 74, I have a site if you want to see what we do: mdpr-escalier-metal.com.

You can refresh your knowledge with the tutorials integrated into SW

1 Like

Salam alaykom I advise you to use the Sketchup pro 8.0

I invite you to go to the www.zw3d-cfao.fr site where you can download the ZW3D software, which is simple, powerful and also much less expensive, especially if you are a beginner...