Design in Linux

Hello

I'm currently wondering about a complete change of Windows by Linux.

I like Linux and turning it into the default OS wouldn't bother me but what about CAD?

I know that there is Draghsight, for 2D, and FreeCAD for 3D.

If there are Linuxians on the forum, could they advise me?

Thanks in advance 

Hello

I don't think many people use Linux 100% for professional design.

What can easily be imagined on the other hand is a dual boot:

http://www.commentcamarche.net/faq/11322-wubi-ubuntu-realiser-facilement-un-dual-boot-windows-linux

But the disadvantage is that you have to restart to change OS.

You can then install Linux as a program in Windows:

http://fr.openclassrooms.com/informatique/cours/installer-linux-dans-windows-avec-colinux

Or use a virtual machine:

http://www.commentcamarche.net/faq/4952-linux-installer-linux-sans-repartitionner

This makes it easy to keep Windows just a click away.

Precisely, I'm already in dual boot to keep some software like SW, the goal being to be able to separate almost totally from Windows.

The virtual machine, I have a hard time imagining that it will work well with a software such as SW especially since my proc is not virtualization compatible and is therefore locked on... 1 proc out of 4 :/

As for Linux on Windows, the fact that you want to change OS is precisely that you want to get rid of the old OS.

I may have started a trail with Wine, a Linux software allowing the installation of Windows programs.

1 Like

Hello

I have now more than 4 years on my personal PC installed Linux Ubuntu.

The laptop on which I installed it is more than 10 years old but it continues to work perfectly under the Linux OS.

So I also tested Wine to run games for my daughter (such as educational games) and it still has trouble working properly, and I'm talking about a game that is also more than 8 years old.

All this to say that I have a big doubt about the fact that SW can run on Linux even with Wine, so for me not too much choice either dual boot or VM.

@+

1 Like

In the distant past, we used a LINUX server to store our SolidWorks data.
From memory, we used "Samba" to make SolidWorks think that the storage was on a Windows server.

Yes, but here's the thing, if unfortunately you have a problem with SolidWorks and you call the Hotline and then the SolidWorks support in the US, your call will not be requested because you don't meet the prerequisites. So be careful.......

1 Like

@Coyote: That's kind of the fear I have, moreover, on the Wine website, they put a "non-functional" compatibility since SW 2010...

If I switch to Linux, it's partly because of its lightness, but also because of its Open Source side.

So I think you have to know how to make sacrifices but not to the point of letting go of SW who remains my main work tool.

I'm going to keep a W7 dual boot - Ubuntu I think, to meditate.

1 Like

@flegendre, yes, indeed. It always works. I work in a company that still uses this process: SW deployed in network licenses under Windows and data on a Samba (Linux) server. However, this poses a problem. Ordinary SW users are forced to copy all the data locally (on Windows) to use it because SW does not know how to write the image file to the server.

Admin users don't have a pb of access to write strangely. Something to think about

Salutatiosn

Yes I think that as a server, there are so many worries for Linux.

On the other hand, when it has to be used as a CAD machine, it's a different story.

Obviously, apart from dual boot or virtualization, there is no other choice...

Has anyone ever used FreeCAD on a daily basis?

1 Like
Hello everyone, I'm new on the forum and there I see con talking about linux which and my part alor me I but windows aside all right away ok alor the answer is simple you install ubuntu 10.4 after you download the emc2 program and then we talk about it again!
1 Like

Hello, I'm here to add my little grain of salt to the discussion. In fact, in my company, the question of a 3D and 2D software running on Ubuntu has been raised.

- Freecad still has a number of small problems under Ubuntu (youthful error) despite the fact that it is not free, so tests are not very conclusive.

- Solidworks only works under Pure Windows, attempts have been made by the IT department to avoid Windows intruders, but in fact not possible. For the Samba servers, we had big problems with network connections that made us waste time and especially files, such as impossible backup and big crash. The drawing file was gone. An automatic update of the servers in September 2013 had solved this problem.

- Drafsight, quite a story: The paid version (to get the scripts), only works on Windows (not even under Virutalbox emulation), the license server also only works on Windows. Under Ubuntu, big bugs (often fixed in the windows version) persist such as display problems or the non-management of variables (filedia, regenauto,...). Even more painful, the versions are only in beta, so as soon as a new version arrives, the license is blocked and impossible to draw, very painful when you don't plan to have to re-install a very important morning. Under Windows, the end of the license is notified at least 30 days before....

In my opinion, and this remains mine, Ubuntu is not suitable for professional drawing (constant use), sorry for the anti-windows resistance. To put an emulation to work is to admit a failure in the resistance because you have to use Windows all the same. Now, everything is defensible and everyone has their own choices, and everyone has their own crusade, but professionally, the goal is to come up with plans, products,... and not playing Don Quixote. At home it's different, the pleasure of resisting can be a pleasure like any other and praiseworthy.

3 Likes

@gonvin86: Hello and welcome to the forum:)

I'm having trouble understanding the answer, what is "emc2"?

I did a little digging and it looks like a CAM software.

@mwalti: We can say that this is a good big testimonial in business!

More seriously, I think so, I'm not ready to let go of SW even if Windws is sincerely getting on my nerves at the moment...

I have the impression that there are an incalculable number of soft photos, videos, graphics, etc. but not much in CAD, a bit like Apple with its Macs in fact (I may be wrong but CAD level on MAC...).

Emulation remains a solution but the graphics part must be, I think, just overboosted to follow.

The only CAD software that has a chance to run on linux are those that run on UNIX... but not directly.

Currently, and from memory, the only CAD officially supporting Linux is Unigraphics NX from Siemens... and still only the "Enterprise" versions of the RedHat and SuSe distributions (so paid version). Unigraphics NX is also closer to CATIA than to SolidWorks...

Incidentally, for avid Call supporters, NX also supports OS X.

1 Like
Good evening everyone listened, I have in my charge about thirty computers, more than half and ubuntu 12.4 and the other on winmachin which crashes without knowing why now that everyone faces as they want. Hi A+

@gonvin86:

Yes, stability is something but it's not particularly the question, being stable but not being able to work is a bit of a handicap:)

Hello

FYI, EMC2 (linuxcnc) is a software for CNC like galaad (very good by the way).

I've been using Linux myself for a long time (15 years), but it's true that it's difficult to develop professional software on this OS.

exp: KYLIX, the counterpart of Delphi (programming software) has been discontinued.

On the other hand, when you have the sources of a software, you are able to adapt them to your needs

exp:KICAD (software for electronics) has everything from EAGLE with the added sources.

You can take linux for its long-term stability and therefore use software without expecting to be able to make updates.

WINE is not an emulator as they say and is well suited for small applications that could be described as portable like LTSPICE, I would lean to say that it is at the same level as Windws98SE in terms of compatibility.

Personally I am first looking to use software that has been compiled for the 2 OS, to familiarize myself with it to switch it to linux afterwards.

Kind regards

Hi everyone,

My little grain of salt;)

I use FreeCAD on a daily and professional basis, mainly to design wooden structures thanks to the FreeCAD Architecture workshop.

The flaw, or rather the lack of 'officially stable' tools for drawing is filled by LibreCAD which proves to be effective for editing 2D plans. From FreeCAD I export the 2d sections and projections in dxf and import them into LibreCAD.

I model and manipulate a lot of objects (from OBJ, STL, STEP, IGES...) for a friend who has a 3d printer. She also helps out engineers in design offices around me;)

FreeCAD, whose version 0.14 has just been released, already offers very powerful tools. Of course, it lacks features such as assemblies (constraints between parts), but it is very powerful in parametric modeling. For me its advantage is the modular and programmable side, you can do everything.

Now you have to see what your needs are and which software meets them. The OS will depend on the choice of software. (realistic statement but I do the complete opposite:P )

But it's counterproductive to virtualize or WINER the software that will require the most resources. For my part I have FreeCAD installed on Ubuntu 14.04 and I virtualize windows when I need SketchUp or a structural analysis software :/

With a user-friendly command-line interface, Linux VPN is tailored to the needs of those looking for privacy and security, an ideal Linux VPN for platforms such as Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora, and CentOS. Thanks to a simple command-line interface and unlimited bandwidth, Linux VPN simplifies connection and protection.  offers not only fast speed but also smart functionality for a better experience. 256-bit encryption and over 300,000 anonymous IP addresses give you complete peace of mind on the internet.