The solidworks file size

Hello 

Can we reduce the size of a solidworks file (Part or Assembly)??

Thank you 

You can compress it zip or rar, it reduces the size considerably.

On the other hand, it is not possible to open it without unzipping

3 Likes

For what purpose?

2 Likes

You want to reduce a file size, you have to reduce the details and the quality, you can record in parasolid... Apart from it, compression, as said by @sbadenis, otherwise I don't know any other solution.

As I say @gt22 it all depends on what you want to do afterwards such as sending to a customer or making an assembly because you have to know if it should be usable by solid or not.

Good afternoon

G.

2 Likes

for a PRT, open the file with SW, go to:

Document / Quality / Uncheck "Save Facetization" option

1 Like

@gt22: The goal is to save it as a 3D PDF and read it on an Ipad, unfortunately with a large size I can't do that.

1 Like

Hello

have you tried an eDrawing in exe? (or easm/eprt if the reading station is equipped with eDrawing))

2 Likes

Otherwise you have the screenshots as a last resort... it sucks I know but at least it doesn't take up space...

After that, apart from limiting the number of facets (set or part) there is not too much solution... Even edrawing will take up a certain amount of space...

Good luck

2 Likes

Look at the Ecosqueeze

http://sti-pro.ac-rouen.fr/construction/spip/spip.php?article6

To know if it's compatible with your SW version?

@+ ;-)

1 Like

If the edrawing backup (not exe) is smaller than the pdf3d one, there is the edrawing application on ipad.

2 Likes

@G.: The goal was to make the piece move freely . Thank you

@BBARRAND : I have the eDrawing, if you can explain more!!

@gt22 : I can't download the software from this site!!

@PhilippeB : If I understand correctly, I can move the piece freely on Ipad using an eDrawing App? Just have to save the piece in edrawing??  

1 Like

@Hassana

Save your piece in eDrawing (.eprt) and with the eDrawing application installed on your Ipad you can manipulate it in 3d. It's up to you to test, I don't have an Ipad:)

Hello

and if you make a Seepdpack and then save the speedpack config in PDF3D or eDrawing it will be less heavy...

2 Likes

@PhilippeB : I saved the piece in eDrawing it's true the size has reduced a bit... But I haven't tried it on the Ipad yet, the person concerned is on the move.

@ac cobra 427 : I clicked on Update SpeedPack, it gives me a message saying that there is no SpeePack subassembly to update.... I don't know if you're talking about that or something else!!

On the other hand I put my part in complex assembly mode, I saved my part in PDF 3D, this time the size is less than the one saved in eDrawing.... But I haven't tried it on the Ipad yet.

1) from Solidworks, save in EASM or EPRT format

2) open this file in eDrawing format with the eDrawing software, then do "file" + "save as" + choose the file type "eDrawing executable files" (EXE extension)

Then this new EXE file can be opened on any computer, even if it does not have eDrawing installed.