Lag on SW17 and DELL T3600

Hello

I am currently working on SW17. I have a project going on at work where there are a lot of parts, assembly as well as routings. 

The problem, the software lags almost every function (lag of 5s or more), impossible to work without wanting to break the desktop.

I assume, after some research, that the graphics card is no longer compatible with the software version. The PC is a DELL type PrecisionT3600, Xeon processor CPU E5-1620, 3.6 GHz, 32 GB of memory, equipped with an AMD Fire pro V7900 graphics card: no reason why it shouldn't be a blast.

Except that on the SW site, compatibility between the graphics card and software does not exist.

Any opinions?

For note, no real problem with Inventor 2017, despite the fact that it has not been tested with a project of an equivalent size.

Thanks in advance!

Mathieu.

Hello

We work on similar machines in forestry as well.

We use HP WorkStation machines. Here is my config:
Model:     HP Z420 Workstation
Processor:     Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-1620 v2 @ 3.70GHz
Total Memory:     16 GB
Graphics Card - Driver:     Quadro K4000 -- 411.63

SW uses only one core for a wide range of tasks. As far as the graphics card is concerned, we make sure to use a driver that is compatible with the SW version.

Finally, you also have to pay attention to your SW display settings, library files, imported files...

4 Likes

You have to do a test with a SW certified card

and which Windows do you have?

otherwise your configuration is good for SW

@+

1 Like

Hello

Thank you for these answers.

"Finally, you also have to pay attention to your SW display settings, library files, imported files... "

Regarding this point: display, I have already made a pass (removing shadows, working without edge lines, etc.) but it is still a problem, the software still reacts a little better.

What problem could library and imported files cause for library and imported files? Finally, how can they pose problems?

"You have to do a test with a SW certified card

and which Windows do you have?"

Windows 7 64-bit Service Pack 1. I would like to test with a certified card, that's the purpose of my message: would the problem be solved by replacing the graphics card with a certified one? Or could it possibly come from another source?

Given the price of a Pro graphics card, I would like to avoid buying 2 following a definition error:) 

Thank you!

Your board was a CAD board but it looks old.

Routing is very resource-intensive. You can already try to "remove" all cables/hoses (via config and/or display status).

Indicate where you are geographically, there may be a way to organize a test meeting.
Or, if you are under maintenance, contact your usual hardware supplier, they may be able to lend you a card.

Hello

We are in Metz, no maintenance to date. The Solidworks license is rented, and the rental companies don't understand much apparently! And I don't have the history of the PC, which must have been bought a few years ago.

On the other hand, at the limit, would you be able to tell me that this card would be usable? The SW site offers some, depending on the version of Windows and SW, with the drivers, except that I have the impression that the proposed cards (which are apparently tested and certified), are already old too.

To note, I did a few more tests:

- The movement of the rotating assembly goes very well, no lag (not very smooth either, but it's okay)

- About 30 seconds to get out of a routing subassembly...

- Same for performing function

Thank you.

The certified cards are necessarily "old" since we are talking about a version that was released 18 or even 24 months ago for the beta versions.

Your latest tests confirm what I was saying: routing is resource-intensive.

Since you rent the license, maybe you can also rent a "certified" machine to finish this file if you are really embarrassed and this case is "unique". If this type of case is repeated, renting can allow you to do a test.

It's difficult to advise you on the purchase of a graphics card except to look at what is available on the market and see, on a case-by-case basis, if it's certified.