When is the future?

Hi everyone,

I've been working on SW for a few years now and frankly it's great!

It's great when you can exchange with customers/suppliers directly in 3D! We send a little parasolid and presto, the exchanges are fast!

On the other hand, when it comes to making plans, it's frankly a disaster! It's slow, it's full of bugs...

Do you think that one day we will finally be able to free ourselves from 2D?? Communicate only in 3D, even to manufacturing?

We can't wait for the future!!

2 Likes

YES, with some subcontractors I no longer send 2d but step files in clear I communicate only with 3d. so no more 2d pdf dwf dxf.

May the force be with you

4 Likes

Hello

I don't see how to do without it completely: surface conditions, tolerances on the coasts, geometric tolerances etc... do not appear on 3D as soon as they are migrated to a format other than the native!

But I agree with you, sometimes it would really be the kick; what time would we gain....

5 Likes

No more paper all virtual, that's the head start we need ;-)

Send the file directly in your format and the recipient

opens with what he has on hand among others One Shape or other

@+ ;-)

2 Likes

Hello

there is 3D dimensioning now, but a plan remains a legal document in case of dispute.

1 Like

It's true that it would be a good idea, and ecologically speaking too!

2 Likes

Hello

It's the same for me; I only send STEP or 3D pdf or edrawing .exe. For the drawings I send the pdf and dxf. But personally I don't have a problem when I receive WWTP to do the drawings.

3 Likes

The future...

Surely it will not be far away.

But Factory 4.0 will see 3D without 2D.

I'm sure!

But it's hard to imagine a 3D dimension chain.

And many other subtleties

3 Likes

Apparently it's now! :-)

SolidWorks has already thought of this. SolidWorks MDB is made for this: http://www.solidworks.com/sw/products/technical-communication/solidworks-mbd.htm

3 Likes

Hello

Knowing that 3D printing is expanding rapidly, 2D will become obsolete.

All the pieces I draw to be printed have no plans, phenomenal time saving!

2 Likes

It's true that we are exchanging more and more in 3D format, whether for 3D printing, digital machining or other...

There is already a new 3D drawing tool with solidworks MBD:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4NjtgOhErs

On the other hand, even if I like new technologies, I think it would be regrettable to do without 2D. There are already more and more people who no longer know how to read a 2D map! However, it is essential, whether for coast chains, tolerances, adjustments, surface finishes, annotations, cuts, nomenclatures, etc. Drawing remains the heart of the mechanic's job with a very high added value, even if I admit it can be long and boring.

2 Likes

Mouaif, 3D printing has its limits too, it all depends on the field of activity.

I sometimes make prototypes in 3D printing (plastic) and I find that the surface finishes and precision are below what can be achieved in machining.

This is very practical for having parts quickly, but they must be taken back for threads, bores or sliding surfaces. This implies providing clamping areas in the vise for the rework of these machinings and the precision can be reduced.

Maybe I'm too old school, but without a plan, how do you tell the difference between a Ø6 hole and a Ø6 F7 hole?

5 Likes

When a customer sends me a complete building in step that I have to transcribe into folded sheet metal, I curse him^^

To take it side by side, piece by piece takes a long time.

Whereas a side plan is much faster to read than a 3D one.

How do you weld the parts, what tapping, what finish etc... And the flow nomenclature.

All the information is more readable in 2D

We've been following 2D plans for hundreds and hundreds of years, and it's not for nothing.

After I think it depends on the field of application, but in our case, we prefer 2D for the fab and 3D for the design (see assembly problems etc...)

1 Like

@ bart it could maybe solve your problem

Datakit's new IFC reading enables...

Datakit's new IFC reading enables interoperability between BIM and CAD

La nouvelle lecture IFC de Datakit permet l’interopérabilité entre le BIM et la CAO

03 January 2017 by Datakit

Datakit, a company specializing in CAD data exchange, unveils its brand new interface : a library for reading the IFC (Industry Foundation Classes) format, the standard exchange format in the field of BIM (Building Information Modeling). 

With this new interface, Datakit is breaking down the barriers that may have existed between the BIM and CAD worlds," explains Samad Elboustini, CTO of Datakit, " Indeed, CAD software users may have to work with IFC files from BIM software (such as REVIT,™ ArchiCAD,™ Allplan™, SketchUp™, Vectorworks™, etc.), but cannot use them if their CAD software cannot read them.
By adding an IFC format read to our standalone CrossManager converter, we give users the ability to convert .ifc and .ifcxml files into the many CAD formats we know how to write. After conversion, these files can therefore be opened in most CAD or visualization software."

Fichier IFC converti en PDF 3D avec CrossManager. Le fichier peut ainsi être ouvert dans Adobe Acrobat Reader™ pour le visualiser. L’arborescence du modèle et les propriétés sont également converties.
IFC file converted to 3D PDF with CrossManager. This allows the file to be opened in Adobe Acrobat Reader™ for viewing. The model tree and properties are also converted.
IFC template provided by Architect Building Designer Office (Cc-by-3.0 license)

Software vendors can also take advantage of this new interfaceto provide their users with interoperability with the IFC format.
This is possible thanks to CrossCad/Ware : An SDK that can be integrated into third-party software. By integrating CrossCad/Ware into their application, software vendors take advantage of Datakit's technology, allowing them to access data in the IFC format. This allows them to read the geometric data, as well as the model tree and metadata contained in this format. API integration is simple and is completely transparent to end users.

This tool is dedicated to BIM software publishers , as their users need the software to be able to read the standard format of their field. But it is also intended for software vendors in any other field wishing to offer their users the possibility of importing BIM data.
Many vendors already trust the robustness of CrossCad/Ware. Indeed, already more than a hundred software programs in different fields (CAM, ERP, PLM, visualization, simulation, calculation, metrology, BIM, etc.) are based on Datakit's technology for reading 3D data.

To test IFC  file conversion with CrossManager or for more information on software integration possibilities, visit datakit.com, or contact Datakit at +33 478 396 369.

@+ ;-)

1 Like

The problem of multi-software designs is not the issue at all.

Adjustment dimensions or geometric tolerances can appear in a 3D in the same way as surface finishes.

3 Likes

@tomalam

it was to answer @ Bart on the file conversion problem step

edited just before my message ;-)

in the construction industry, BIM is becoming a reference

so to be able to take the values and geometry of these said designs in another log

is in my opinion a great step forward in the field of information exchange

@+ ;-)

2 Likes

I think that for a model reading done directly in 3D it's still quite complicated today if the plane is "hairy" in ribs.

We should evolve the drawing rules that are still essentially adapted to the drawing board and rethink everything directly for 3D.

For example, to see the references of a part (A, B, C, ....) we must be able to filter this by seeing the surfaces in "actions", i.e. in their assembly context (in transparency) to better understand the why of the refs.

And many other examples like this come to mind...

2 Likes

Thank you Gt22 =)

I have already made inquiries. Great software, but super expensive! At the same time he does everything ^^

Here, here is the 3D, I need the price quickly and launch the production! Xd

A lot of work for not much in the end......

20160116.sat
2 Likes

@ Bart it smells like ITE in your story

it may be that I wouldn't have done

it may polute the installation

@+ ;-)

1 Like

Yes, sorry, an off-topic fear compared to the basic question...

For your information, it's a connecting splint, or a slipper or a slipper ^^ it all depends on what you call it but it doesn't bother you at all for the installation:p

It's good for ITE, it's our specialty:D

2 Likes